Marijuana: Will It Affect Our Future Generations? | Teen Ink

Marijuana: Will It Affect Our Future Generations?

By ECRMER BRONZE, Crested Butte, Colorado
ECRMER BRONZE, Crested Butte, Colorado

Marijuana has been around for years but it has just now become a problem? That’s because a law has been passed. The law of legalization. Even if someone hasn’t smoked before there is a better risk of them smoking now. People think that because it’s legal they should do it, but they shouldn’t. Although marijuana can be used for medical reasons, I believe that marijuana should not be legal because it can affect growing brains, it is accessible to children, and it's not necessary for recreational use.

Marijuana has become legal in many states. Most people think that kids can’t be exposed to marijuana because there are laws about its use. That is far from being true. Kids could get marijuana from their older friends or family members. There is also edible marijuana. Edible marijuana is marijuana in the form of candy or food. Usually used for medicational use. There have been cases where children have come across cookies or candy with edible marijuana in it. If I came across a cookie in my home I would most likely eat it. That is what happened to a two and a half year old a few years ago(7news). Seven news said “The number of child marijuana ingestion cases rose from 25 in 2009 to 61 in 2010”.

Marijuana used by parents can affect the child. (Barcott 40) Tests show that a rat who has taken the drug regularly and later had a baby caused effects on the baby. These test also showed that in certain circumstances the rats whose parents had the drug wanted the drug more than the rats whose parents hadn't used the drug. Even the government has trouble finding the “medical benefit” of marijuana (Barcott 40). 

There are many different ways to avoid marijuana. One of the main reasons is to not legalize marijuana in any more states. If we don't legalize it then it doesn't even give people the option of using it. We should also revoke the laws that most states already have. Although marijuana does not cause immediate effects, it can still affect our children. Do you really want your child to be hurt because of a non-necessary drug? Do you want our future generations focusing on a drug? I don’t. Let’s end this problem now, and stop the use of marijuana.

Works Cited
Metrik, Jane, Christopher W. Kahler, John E. Mcgeary, Peter M. Monti, and Damaris J. Rohsenow. "Acute Effects of Marijuana Smoking on Negative and Positive Affect." J Cogn Psychother Journal of Cognitive Psychotherapy 25.1 (2011): 31-46. EBSCO. Web. 20 Oct. 2015.
Barcott, Bruce, and Michael Scherer. "The Great Pot Experiment. (Cover Story)." Time 185.19 (2015): 38-45. Academic Search Premier. Web. 21 Oct. 2015.
"Denver Toddler Hospitalized After Eating Pot Cookies." 7NEWS. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Oct. 2015.