Reasons to be Straight Edge | Teen Ink

Reasons to be Straight Edge

By KatieKilljoy SILVER, Franklin, Tennessee
KatieKilljoy SILVER, Franklin, Tennessee

For those who aren't already aware, being straight edge means no drinking, no drugs and no casual or meaningless sex.

With how many states have legalized marijuana, and how sex is thrown around in the media so casually it's no wonder most people aren't straight edge.

As a sober alcoholic and drug users daughter, I have decided to speak about the reasons people should choose to not disrespect their bodies by careless, promiscuous or harmful behavior.

First of all, it accomplishes absolutley nothing. Say you drink for the sake of a social gathering; it only makes you act like an idiot, possibly gets you sick and causes you to lazily waste the next day of your life. Theres no actual point and your intoxicated self is fully capable of manslaughter or staining your maybe even spotless record which both happen all the time.

Would you really want to end someones life just for alcohol? Do other people really mean that little to you? And if you're an angry or abusive drunk, would you be okay with the knowledge you hurt someone close to you? Or maybe even broke a bottle and threatened to stab a guy at the bar?

IT'S NOT WORTH IT!

Just like alcohol, drugs aren't producive either. You'll take them to get high, but eventually that wears off and there will not ever be anything good that has come from it.

Maybe you think it takes you away from reality and that's all you really want. Well heres a dose of reality for you, when that buzz wears off, you will be even worse off then before. Do yourself a favor and read a book, listen to music or something instead. It will help build you stronger and not break you down.

And just ike the previous two, sex that means nothing is also worth nothing. You share the most intimate part of yourself with someone who means nothing to you and good things will not ever come of that. It's meant to be shared with someone you love as a physical action representing that both people have given themselves to one another in every possible way. That's what it was made to be and people using it for casual pleasure taint it.

Lastly of things that are harmful and accomplish nothing is smoking. All it will do for you is turn your lungs black and kill you. It may provide temporary relief but there are many ways to do that without harming your body and other people around you.

Secondly, everything has consequences so when you lead a careless or harmful lifestyle, it can really come back to bite you. Once due to my fathers drinking and drug using, he tried to commit suicide twice in one week. One of those times he had been experiencing an alcoholic blackout and woke up in the hospital with no memory of what happened.

Casual sex can easily cause you to get STD's or become/get someone pregnant. Either way, it probably won't end well.

Lastly, you are not the only one that it hurts.

Alcohol and drug users families and friends are forced to deal with their constant relapses, irrational behavior and unpredictable outbursts. They get thrown back and forth, keep changing from hopeful to giving up and they constantly wonder if their son, daughter, mother, or in my case father is going to soon be put in the ground. It's stressful, emotional and downright frustrating.

If you have a child due to meaningless sex, and they find out, they may very well spend their life feeling like a mistake caused by a pointless one night stand. So if you ever consider being promiscous, also consider the child that could come from that.

Cigarettes may be relaxing to you, but painful for someone else. I walk through amusement parks with my best friend and every time we pass by someone smoking she starts having a hard time breathing. And that pain is caused by someone else. She doesn't deserve it but it happens and all she can do is get away from it.

There is nothing but pain and suffering resulting from these horrible habits or choices in the long run. Think before you put a life whether you or someone elses at risk.