“Quit Smoking Cigarettes!” | Teen Ink

“Quit Smoking Cigarettes!”

By juli thang BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
juli thang BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado

My parents would never smoke cigarettes or do other drugs because they don’t wanna do bad things for us. They even told us not to smoke when we grow up because it’s very bad and addictive and they also told us not to be around smokers. Whenever I see people smoking, I feel bad for them because they can’t stop, they’re addicted to it. It’s smells very bad so I would always cover my mouth not to get affected, I’ve wished that people would stop smoking. Have you ever been around other people that smoke cigarettes? If you have, you should try to tell him/her to stop. What I claim about smoking cigarettes is that it is very bad and has negative outcomes, so people should stop smoking in order to save their own lives and others around them.

My first reason is that smoking cigarettes causes lung cancer. According to the text, “Cigarette smoking kills more than 480,000 Americans each year, with more than 41,000 of these deaths from exposure to secondhand smoke. In addition, smoking-related illness in the United States costs more than $300 billion a year, including nearly $170 billion in direct medical care for adults and $156 billion in lost productivity.” (http://www.cdc.gov/)
This text means that smoking kills many people in America and it cost a lot for medical care, so that’s why people should quit smoking in order to save their own lives and others around them.

My second reason is that smoking causes death or illness.  According to the text, “Nearly 18 of every 100 U.S. adults aged 18 years or older (17.8%) currently smoke cigarettes. This means that an estimated 42.1 million adults in the United States currently smoke cigarettes. Cigarette smoking is the leading cause of preventable disease and death in the United States, accounting for more than 480,000 deaths every year, or 1 of every 5 deaths. More than 16 million Americans live with a smoking-related disease. Current smoking has declined from nearly 21 of every 100 adults (20.9%) in 2005 to nearly 18 of every 100 adults (17.8%) in 2013.” (http://www.cdc.gov/) This text means that smoking a lot of cigarettes leads to death and many people lives with smoking-related disease, so that’s why people should quit smoking in order to save their own lives and others around them.

Lastly, my third reason is that smoking causes kids or teenagers to be second hand smokers. According to the text, “During 2011–2012, about 58 million nonsmokers in the United States were exposed to secondhand smoke. Among children who live in homes in which no one smokes indoors, those who live in multiunit housing (for example, apartments or condos) have 45% higher cotinine levels (or almost half the amount) than children who live in single-family homes. During 2011–2012, two out of every five children ages 3 to 11—including seven out of every ten Black children—in the United States were exposed to secondhand smoke regularly. During 2011–2012, more than one in three (36.8%) nonsmokers who lived in rental housing were exposed to secondhand smoke.” (http://www.cdc.gov/) This text means that people who lived in rental housing were mostly affected to secondhand smoking, so that’s why people should stop smoking in order to save their own lives and others around them.

All in all, I think that smoking cigarettes is very harmful to any age and it can be addictive once you start. So that’s why I claim that smoking cigarettes is very bad and has negative outcomes, so people should stop smoking in order to save their own lives and others around them.

JesusandHisLawyers SILVER, Austin, Texas

"who the fuck has a favorite personal quote what does that even mean" - me, just now.

How about stop policing what people choose to do with their own bodies. Word of advice: you NEVER know what someone's reasoning for doing something is, and it's none of your business anyway. Unless they're sticking your head in your car and blowing smoke into your face, keep your distaste for smokers to yourself.