Should Marijuana be Legal? | Teen Ink

Should Marijuana be Legal?

By Kittykat107 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Kittykat107 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

You don't need make up. Your beautiful. Unless your ugly on the inside, so eat the makeup. <3

A highly debated topic in The United states is if Medical Marijuana (cannabis) should be legalized. If medical marijuana or cannabis was legalized it would have many good impacts on the United states itself. Some people say marijuana is a gateway drug and has no benefits, while other people say it’s a safe and effective medicine that has been used for hundreds of years. So, even though not everyone believes marijuana is safe it has many proven benefits. First of all marijuana can relieve seizures in kids and adults, next it is proven to be safer than some other medicines to treat the same symptoms. Finally marijuana has many proven medicinal properties.

The first reason marijuana should be legalized is that it can reduce seizures in adults and children. 5 year old Charlotte Figi suffered from Dravet’s Syndrome, which caused her to have 300 grand mal seizures a week. During these seizures she could be unconscious lying on the ground having violent muscle contractions. Two years after taking oil infused with a special line of marijuana her mom said, “She can walk: she ate chilli in the car like a normal kid.” Charlotte’s special line of marijuana is called Charlotte’s Web. This line of marijuana is genetically modified so when it is put into oil the user won’t become high and they will only experience the good effects. Many people think that this line of marijuana is fake, but even CBS News has posted a story on it.

The second reason marijuana should be legal it is safer than other medicines for the same symptoms. Marijuana can relieve certain types of pain. It can relieve vomiting and nausea, especially if it’s caused by chemotherapy for cancer. Marijuana is effective at relieving spasticity in muscles that is sometimes associated with multiple sclerosis and paralysis. Marijuana also treats appetite loss associated with HIV/AIDS and certain types of cancer. Some people think marijuana has cancer causing compounds, but the chances of getting cancer using cannabis oil is very low. These facts are true because the DPA (publisher) is the nation's leading organization promoting drug policies that are grounded in science, compassion, health and human rights.

The third reason marijuana should be legal is it has many medicinal properties. Marijuana has been used as a successful medicine for hundreds of years, and 70% of voters support the right of patients to use marijuana with a doctors recommendation.  There are at least two active chemicals in marijuana that researchers think have medicinal applications. “Those are cannabidiol (CBD) which seems to impact the brain without a high and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) which has pain relieving and other properties.” This is trustworthy because this article was written by Jennifer Welsh. Jennifer Welsh worked for an antiviral drug discovery company called Prosetta Bioconformatics so she has lots of truthful knowledge on the topic.

So, as you consider the abundance of information of why marijuana should be legalized it’s an easy choice. It can reduce seizures, pain and help people with cancer. Marijuana is a lifesaving drug, but in many places it’s illegal to use. As an American citizen you can help!  There are some of the things that we all can do to help get marijuana legal.  Contact the mayor of your city, or one of the news channels from your town and let them know your opinion on marijuana. After all, America never accepts defeat, so let’s all work together to create a marijuana policy we can all be proud of!

Yetis BRONZE said...
Yetis BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Nice, Totes awesome

Kittykat107 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

hi jack ........

Kittykat107 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

it is cool