Weeding Out the Blunt Truth: Why America Should Support the Legalization of | Teen Ink

Weeding Out the Blunt Truth: Why America Should Support the Legalization of

By claireaffair SILVER, McDonough, Georgia
claireaffair SILVER, McDonough, Georgia

“I’ve never had an original thought in my life…and there’s tons of people on the internet happy to tell me just that.” -Shepard Fairey (Creator of OBEY Propaganda)

"The duty of the youth is to challenge corruption." -Kurt Cobain

The legalization of marijuana for recreational use is not a new argument; however, in the past eight years, legalization has been one of the most discussed topics in media. Radical conservatives might contribute this increase in media attention to the United States’ failing morals and influential liberal population while supporters contribute the changes being made to the conclusions brought about by new research and realizations about its benefits. Since 1996, 20 states have legalized marijuana for medical use only and two of these states have legalized recreational use (Office of National Drug Control Policy). Marijuana use is only increasing, and legalizing marijuana would allow the United States to reap benefits that prohibition does not yield, such as a better economy, a decrease in crime, and a pleased majority.

Marijuana is the dried form of the plant Cannabis sativa and is commonly smoked or ingested for it mind-altering effects. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, it is the most commonly used illicit drug and its use has increased since 2007.  Marijuana contains the chemical delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinolbetter (THC), and gives the user a euphoric feeling commonly described as a high. In addition to reaping recreational effects, marijuana is also used to treat the side effects of medical conditions such as HIV, AIDS, dementia, epilepsy, glaucoma, and various movement disorders (National Institute on Drug Abuse).

Legalizing marijuana would stimulate the American economy. A study by CNBC reports that “while tobacco use has drifted downward from over 30 percent of the population per month, the marijuana percentages have been roughly consistent for at least the past ten years”, proving that a market exists. Predictions by economists from Harvard suggest that the estimated $40 billion marijuana market, if taxed, could yield an annual $16-20 billion in taxes (CNBC). Just as the government taxes alcohol and tobacco, taxes could be put in place on marijuana to fund programs for infrastructure and education.

Legalization would not only provide new funds, but also save the government money that is usually spent on law enforcement because fewer arrests would be made. In fact, a report by Jeffrey A. Miron, a Professor of Economics at Boston University, stated that in the state of Massachusetts legalization would save law enforcement resources of approximately $24.3 million annually. The complete decriminalization of marijuana would lead to fewer misdemeanor arrests and would allow law enforcement to be more readily available to handle other issues that pose a more serious threat (CNBC).

The marijuana market would create thousands of new jobs for Americans. Dispensary owners and workers, farmers and delivery drivers are some of the positions that would be generated by legalization. In Montana, the marijuana industry created 1,400 new jobs, and 70 percent those jobs are occupied by workers that had not been previously employed (alternet). In addition, these jobs will also bring revenue to the federal government through taxes and business license fees (alternet).

Those opposed to legalization argue that it would only send crime rates skyrocketing; however, if marijuana is being purchased legally and not on the black market, the demand for gangs and drug rings to sell illegally will decrease. Marijuana users that buy legally would be investing this money in the government instead of funding these groups that are often involved with organized crime. A lower demand for illegal distribution would also keep foreign drug mules and drug rings out of the United States, giving homeland security a well needed break from border control drug busts.

The Drug Policy Alliance reported earlier this that that nearly half of all drug related arrests in the United States are for marijuana related charges. Many federal prisions, such as those in the state of California, face overcrowding issues and simply can not afford the $49,000 annual cost per inmate (Marijuana Policy Project). Ending this prohibition would eliminate 27 percent of inmates from the prison system and save the federal government a substantial amount of money that is spent of non-violent marijuana offenders (MPP). It is understood that many offenders have committed other crimes and releasing them or shortening their time could possibly endanger the public; however, this would not release those in prison for charges other than those that are strictly marijuana related. Pew Research Center has found that 76 percent of Americans support this movement to reduce and eliminate marijuana charges.

One of the main functions of federalism is to accomodate diversity and to tend to the wants of citizens, especially the majority. The majority of Americans, approximately 54 percent, now support legalization (Pew Research Center). Support for this cause has only increased and if this trend remains constant, those in favor of legalization will remain the majority.

Some federal laws have proven to be harder to enforce because of circumstance where neighboring states have a different law or regulation. For example, someone might travel to Colorado, purchase marijuana, and then bring it back to their home state of Georgia where marijuana is illegal, making it increasingly difficult, time consuming, and expensive for law enforcement agencies to enforce prohibition. Legalizing marijuana would make U.S law more consistent and satisfy the majority.

One of the key arguments against marijuana legalization is that it is not healthy. It is true that smoking in general has negative effects on the respirtatory system and smoke can cause cancer; however, marijuana smoke does not contain any poisonous chemical unlike cigarettes. Research conducted by Safer Choice also notes that marijuana does not contribute to violent behavior that often results in abuse or crime. Alcohol, on the other hand, is legal and plays a role in 25-30 percent of all crimes committed (The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism).

A main point made by those opposed to legalization is that it might pose threats to the wellbeing of society such as drivers who are under the influence, children exposed to the drug, and marijuana being brought into the workplace. All of these scenarios are possible and documented, but are all dependent on the circumstances and the user. Although, it would be wise for states to bring about new laws and rules to go along with legalization such as DUI laws especially for marijuana and restrictions concerning being high in a workplace.

Legalization could be the push our country needs to relieve some of the turmoil caused by our increasing national debt. Jobs could be created and the government could reap the benefits of the marijuana industry and use this money to create better conditions and opportunities for posterity. History reflects the fact that marijuana use will continue regardless of legislation. With this in mind, it is our choice whether or not we will allow the financial benefits to slip away while usage only increases; legalization will prove to be worth the risk.

Works Cited
"DrugFacts: Marijuana." National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). National Institute on  Drug Abuse, Jan. 2014. Web. 19 Oct. 2014.
"Marijuana Resource Center: State Laws Related to Marijuana." The White House. The  White House, n.d. Web. 21 Oct. 2014.
"Marijuana vs. Alcohol." SAFERchoice.org. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Oct. 2014.
"Medical Use." NORML.org. NORML, 2014. Web. 21 Oct. 2014.
Miron, Jeffrey A. "The Effect of Marijuana Decriminalization on the Budgets of  Massachusetts Governments, With a Discussion of Decriminalization’s Effect on  Marijuana Use." Journal of the American Statistical Association 88.423 (1993): 737- 47.Drugsense.org. 1 Nov. 2003. Web. 20 Oct. 2014.
Nelson, Ariel. "How Big Is The Marijuana Market?" (2010): 1-5. CNBC. CNBC, 20 Apr. 2010.  Web. 21 Oct. 2014.
"Reducing the Harms of Marijuana Prohibition." Drug Policy Alliance. Drug Policy Alliance,  2014. Web. 23 Oct. 2014.
"Section 2: Views of Marijuana – Legalization, Decriminalization, Concerns." Pew Research  Center for the People and the Press RSS. Pew Research, 2 Apr. 2014. Web. 23 Oct.  2014.
"Sensible Handling of Marijuana Offenders Is Crucial to Prison Reforms." Marijuana Policy  Project. Marijuana Policy Project, 2014. Web. 20 Oct. 2014.

on Jan. 27 2015 at 10:57 am
AlliNeedisMusic SILVER, Easley, South Carolina

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Most people think marijuana should stay illegal because, since the govt. is against it, everyone thinks they should be against it, too. The govt. wants you to stay away from things that can cure you so that you will have to come to them for treatment. No one should have to be worried about not being cured just so the govt. can keep making money. Marijuana should be legalized. When not laced, marijuana can be a great cure to many cancers and even some auto immune disorders. I vote for the legalization of cannibus!