Smoking Can Only Take You Downwards | Teen Ink

Smoking Can Only Take You Downwards

November 18, 2014
By pham.jeanine BRONZE, Everett, Massachusetts
pham.jeanine BRONZE, Everett, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Being a daughter of my dad was very hard at some point in my life. It wasn’t from being ashamed of being his daughter, but because of the choices he made. He was a smoker who was always addicted to it. Why do people who smoke feel the need to smoke another one after they have finished one? What makes them so addicted? It kills your lungs and ruins your life in so many ways. Smoking doesn’t benefit you, but takes away all the opportunities in your life. It’s not only effecting oneself, but also everyone that’s around you. I hope one day my dad thinks twice about the actions that he is making in his life.


Aside from being an alcoholic, smokers have a hard time quitting due to the nicotine that is being put in the cigarettes. It takes over your brain and forces you to function in a different way. People say, Nicotine alters the balance of chemicals in your brain, which makes sense because even after weeks of smoking you start thinking differently physically and mentally. When my dad became a smoker, he started to make bad choices he had never made before it all started. His personality became very reckless and he was always about going out to smoke with his friends. Smoking takes up your life. The addiction makes you put the cigarettes first than anything else that are important in your life. Well, at least, my dad did that for a little awhile.


God for bid nothing happened during the 6 years that my dad was smoking. Not saying that nothing happened to his lungs, but because he made the choice to stop his lungs have improved. Looking back, my dad consumed so many different bad chemicals. One cigarette contains over 7,000 chemicals, 69 of which are known to cause cancer, meaning that my dad could’ve or could be at risk of getting cancer. It is disappointing to put your family through something that you could put action to. I never thought that my dad could be this addicted to smoking cigarettes.


I did many things to help my dad quit smoking because that was what I was aiming for while my dad was caught up with the smoking. When my dad would leave the door, he would tell me that he’s just going out for a walk when he was going out to buy a pack of cigarettes. I caught up with his jokes and one night I went into the cabinet and threw away all of his packs of cigarettes. My dad would spend over $60 a week of cigarettes and I would still throw it away. The cigarettes he was smoking affected me mentally because I didn’t want to see my dad suffer in the long run. I cared a lot about him. I think what made my dad kept on smoking was that “the more you smoke, the more your brain becomes used to the nicotine,” so it made him go out and get more. Cigarettes put a stall in your life and if you let it take over you then you could lose all of the opportunities that come to you.


My dad overcame something that was taking over his life. He quit smoking because he knew how much it affected his family. My dad being the male of the household explains how males tend to have significantly higher rates of smoking prevalence than females. Today, my dad could not be any healthier. I thank for all the luck and miracles that has been given in his life. Cigarettes being bad are one thing, but being addictive is something that is hard to overcome.