Getting Help | Teen Ink

Getting Help

Being someone who has dealt with a relative with a substance abuse problem, I have strong feelings towards this touchy subject. I have seen loved ones try and get help and fail but get up and try again. Getting clean is a long and draining process that takes time. I have heard many tear jerking stories of how addiction has ruined or even taken lives. But I’ve also heard many stories of how people have gotten help and overcome addiction. Addiction is not a choice. Help and support of others is necessary to overcome addiction. Do you believe that the help and support of others is key to success? Did you know a majority of Americans, about 80%, have positive feelings about prevention and recovery from substance abuse and use disorders? Addiction is a protruding antagonist in this world and I think that if anyone has any doubt that they may have a problem, that they should get help as soon as possible. So for those other 20% of people who have no feelings, or negative feelings about prevention and recovery, I suggest reading on and considering these facts.

People’s attitudes are altered while using drugs. You aren't the same person anymore. Drug and alcohol addiction take a psychological toll and have an influence on personality and even actions. Because of a rapid change in character, it causes life at home to be stressful. It causes negative mental states and family life becomes turbulent. It is an emotional seesaw as it goes up and and down. This may have a negative effect on the children. When a parent has a substance abuse problem, it disrupts the bonding process with their children. ”Parental substance abuse and dependence have a negative impact on the physical and emotional well-being of children and can cause home environments to become chaotic and unpredictable, leading the child to mal-treatment” says Children's Bureau of ICF International Child Abuse and Neglect Department. Addiction is a family disease and doesn't just affect the abuser.

A life of drugs and alcohol isn't just emotionally dangerous but it also teeters on the rim of illegal. Most substances being abused are not legal. Or even when they are legal are they are being used excessively or incorrectly. That by itself could get somebody into trouble and down the wrong road. But users may also find themselves spending time with people they may not have otherwise. These others can influence them to do the wrong things. Becoming addicted may force you do things you never would have done; stealing from loved ones, cheating others, putting lives on the line and all just for a simple substance creating temporary euphoria. All of the actions could lead up to a life in jail. Going to jail is something that stays with a person forever - it stays on your record and follows you for life. According to the Uniform Crime Reporting Program (UCRP) of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), “Nearly 50% of jail and prison inmates are clinically addicted.” Also “More than 75% of domestic violence victims report that their assailant had been drinking or using illicit drugs at the time of the incident.”

Not only can addiction lead a life in jail and broken families but it can also lead to a shorter life in general. Death is real outcome. Most people don’t realize how dangerous it is. When you are intoxicated you can’t do the same things as you can when you are sober. Many accidents occur while under the influence. It may not just be a car accident but even attempting normal things like riding a bike or taking a shower may lead to misfortune. As these substances are so powerful that they obstruct your own actions, they may even take your life. The possibilities of overdosing on substances is huge. Statistics conducted by the National Institute on Drug Abuse showed that “Nearly 2.1 million hospital Emergency Department visits were a result of drug abuse” and “9 out 10 poisoning deaths are caused by drugs-both illicit and prescribed, and alcohol”. Furthermore if you are a danger to yourself, you are a danger to others. People’s ability to make judgements, have coordination, and basic skills are all impaired. That means that the people who have made the wrong decision could now affect the lives of innocent others.

Many other people may recognize drugs and alcohol in a different light. Others might say that using these substances are completely fine as long as you use in them in moderation. They find it more of a habit rather than a real problem. Despite that, the fact of the matter is that some of these substances are illegal. Even if someone thinks that they have a handle on things, they should still get some help. Addicts are endangering themselves, endangering others, and putting themselves on the wrong path. Over all substance abuse is wrong no matter what circumstances.

I really hope that you have tuned in and really understand what addiction does and all the negative actions it causes. We shouldn’t deny what we see if we see it. So if you know or see anyone with a problem, suggest them to get help.There is such a light in those who have overcome this monster of a disease. The benefits are life changing. And remember all of the pain and suffering substance abuse causes to the person and people around them. So ask yourself, do you want to make a difference? Even helping one person can affect so many others.