what do you think? | Teen Ink

what do you think?

January 10, 2014
By allsmiles1958 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
allsmiles1958 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Did you know that alcohol abuse kills 75,000 Americans each year and shortens the lives of these people by an average of 30 years. Do you know how deaths occur from smoking marijuana from 1/1/97 -6/30/05… 279 people. that’s a huge difference but still marijuana is still illegal in delaware. Marijuana can also be used as a medicine to treat cancer. If doctors are prescribing this to people to help them then why isn’t it legal to enjoy for personal reasons. Alcohol can be deadly to you and other if is abused. some people don’t drink responsibly and doesn't care. others drink and then get behind the wheel endangering themselves and others. then there’s the people who just can’t handle it. I feel that if you're old enough to purchase tobacco or alcohol products that u should be old enough to choose whether you want to smoke marijuana or not. considering how much debt we are in i would think that mary jane should be sold to get us out of it. It isn’t fair that even as adults people still choose what we can or can’t do. Some short term effects more alcohol are… Slurred speech, Drowsiness, Vomiting ,Diarrhea, Upset stomach, Headaches, Breathing difficulties, Distorted vision and hearing, Impaired, judgment , Decreased perception and coordination, Unconsciousness, Anemia (loss of red blood cells), Coma, Blackouts (memory lapses, where the drinker cannot remember events that occurred while under the influence). Some long term effects are… unintentional injuries such as car crash, falls, burns, drowning, Intentional injuries such as firearm injuries, sexual assault, domestic violence, Increased on-the-job injuries and loss of productivity , Increased family problems, broken relationships, Alcohol poisoning, High blood pressure, stroke, and other heart-related diseases, Liver disease, Nerve damage, Sexual problems, Permanent damage to the brain, Vitamin B1 deficiency, which can lead to a disorder characterized by amnesia, apathy and disorientation, Ulcers, Gastritis (inflammation of stomach walls), Malnutrition, Cancer of the mouth and throat. a few short term effects for marijuana are… problems with memory and learning; Distorted perception (sights, sounds, time, touch), Trouble with thinking and problem-solving; Loss of coordination; and, Increased heart rate, anxiety. Last but not least long term effects for smoking marijuana are… Reduced resistance to common illnesses (colds, bronchitis, etc.), Suppression of the immune system, Growth disorders, Increase of abnormally structured cells in the body, Reduction of male sex hormones, Rapid destruction of lung fibers and lesions (injuries) to the brain could be permanent, Reduced sexual capacity, Study difficulties: reduced ability to learn and retain information, Apathy, drowsiness, lack of motivation, Personality and mood changes, Inability to understand things clearly. Now you tell me which is worse?