Pledge To Make A Difference | Teen Ink

Pledge To Make A Difference

By Sammy Bird BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Sammy Bird BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

Pledge To Make A Difference

Believe it or not, there are some people on this planet who are selfish enough to drink to a point where they can barely see straight, and then go and operate a motor vehicle. Now, I hope that most of the people reading this essay realize that this is a really stupid, and possibly life changing decision, but if they do not, I’m here to prove drinking and driving is a really horrible habit to obtain. Some people may be thinking, “I’m a good driver! I can drive perfectly well while I am intoxicated.” Sadly we are not all as good drivers as we would like to believe. In 2011, a NASCAR driver named Michael Annett was arrested from DUI charges, including texting while driving, driving too fast, resisting an officer, and rear ending another car, all while under the influence of an alcoholic beverage. If a NASCAR driver gets caught drinking and driving, then it is inevitable that we all can and will be caught drinking and driving sooner or later. Like the saying, “Better safe than sorry!”
Drinking and driving is a very serious crime that does not receive enough attention from authorities, or the society. Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to drive and not worry about being struck by a drunken driver? The only way that this goal can be achieved is if laws are enforced that create a much harsher penalty for intoxicated drivers. Organizations that are advocates for this idea are M.A.D.D (Mothers against Drunk Driving) or N.C.A.D.D. (National Commission against Drunk Driving) If we all contribute to one of these organizations, we can all be advocates for a step towards ending the selfish, and avoidable act that is invading our country.
Another common thought is, “It’s only a couple of drinks.” This is also not true. Studies show that drinking more alcohol than the body can consume causes the frontal lobes of the brain will begin to shrink, which will later cause impairs to thinking skills in the brain. If a person’s brain is not fully capable of working properly, then it should be blatantly obvious that they shouldn’t control a motor vehicle. When driving under the influence, a driver is at risk of a mental collapse and possible injuring, or killing another driver and/or themselves.
Like I said before, not only does drinking and driving put your life in jeopardy, but it also puts other people on the road’s lives in jeopardy as well. Does it seem fair that innocent people should have to be put in a situation where they can be seriously injured by an intoxicated driver? No; it’s not fair at all. On April 14, 2013, the Koontz family was taking a nice family drive in their hometown of San Antonio, Texas when they were struck by sixty year-old Ruben Galindo. Galindo had been under the influence of alcohol, and had mistakenly driven his big rig on the wrong side a highway and later collided head on with the Koontz’s car. The two Koontz sisters were killed, as well as their Mom and Dad, while their younger brother remained in the hospital. Galindo is charged with four counts of intoxication assault, and will remain behind bars where he will be forced to endure the haunting guilt of ending four innocent people’s lives every day.
Does Galindo’s life sound happy, or enjoyable in any way? If Galindo had just made this one decision differently, then he could have changed everything for himself and the Koontz family. This one decision changes a person’s life every ninety seconds. This is much too often. We will see the greater of society expose itself when people realize what a crime drinking, and driving really is, and promise to take part in putting an end to it. Support an anti-drunk driving organization, and pledge to take part in putting an end to intoxicated driving today.