Why Marijuana Should Be Legalized

The legal drinking age in the United States for alcohol is 21. Alcohol consumption is the third leading cause of mortality, responsible for approximately 75,000 deaths a year. The legal age to smoke is 18. Around 440,000 people die from smoking-related health problems each year. The legal age to drive? 16. Almost 35,000 people die from car accidents annually.

Marijuana is illegal. It is responsible for a stunning amount of... 0 deaths. Contrary to popular belief, Marijuana is not a toxic substance, therefore it cannot cause death by overdose. In fact, according to the European medical journal, The Lancet, "The smoking of cannabis, even long-term, is not harmful to health. ... It would be reasonable to judge cannabis as less of a threat ... than alcohol or tobacco." Also, unlike alcohol and tobacco, marijuana does not possess addictive chemicals such as nicotine, so the body can’t become physically addicted.

I’m not arguing that marijuana should freely be consumed by everybody (we don’t need another hippie era), but It is nonsensical that our government has legalized much more dangerous substances, while continuing to wage the “war on drugs.” If marijuana was legalized everywhere, as some states already have, the government would have much more tax revenue, and it would free up a lot of prison space. Another thing to consider is, the reason the government has so far been unsuccessful in its drug war is because drugs are sold on the black market, under tables through countless drug networks. If marijuana was legalized, it can be regulated. This will destroy the black market for drugs, and it will allow the government to monitor drug usage.

Despite the fact that marijuana is illegal, it is consumed by almost 25 million Americans a year. This drug is so readily available, it’s ridiculous. We have all seen the group of “druggies” in our highschool, even in middle school! The laws are doing nothing to resolve the issue, simply because the issue is too large and complicated to be resolved.

In my opinion, the U.S. government is missing out on an opportunity to gain massive tax revenue, and help regulate drug usage. If marijuana was legalized, it would be a win-win situation - both for the country, and its people.

BigTMorales said...
Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:53 am:
Very well written.  I liked how your backed everything with facts and your personal opinions.  We all have different takes on marijuana.  Like how i'm against it but thats just based on my personal reasons.  It just goes to show how dumb our government is having alcohol legal which costs the deaths of hundreds of thousands compared to marijuana which has absolutely no records of anyone dying what so ever. I Liked this article =) 

LexusMarieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:40 pm:
Hi, I read this and I really like the way you backed things up and how well you explained everything. You put opinion in here as well which made it even better. I did a report of this for school and the two are very similar. This is great.. you go, getting your opinion out there! More should give this a read.

NightcatThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:01 pm:
Yeah in some point I understood  what you saing but at same point not the thing is when you started smoke marijuana stright from second time your brain starts destroing so I not really agreed with this like 65% .But thats good that you started talk about this things :D  

holly1999This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:25 pm:
After reading this, I agree with you. I like the way you've included facts but have added lots of opinion too so it doesn't get boring. Very well written and nice writing style.