The Controversy Called Marijuana

Marijuana has sparked a long, polemical debate in recent years on the potential it has for medical use. In 2011, the DEA ruled (like they did a decade ago) that marijuana is a lethal drug without known medical benefits. A similar verdict was also reached by the National Cancer Institute. Many have argued that the drug should be altered from a Schedule I drug to a Schedule II drug. The main issue is what should be classified as a Schedule II drug and what shouldn’t. In a literal sense, Schedule II drugs are drugs, regardless of their noxious potential, that have some medical value. Although there have been indications that marijuana can alleviate pain in cancer patients, there is no substantial evidence to support it. However, it has been argued that if marijuana is promoted to Schedule II, then more medical research can be performed to clear the debate on its potential, thus changing state medical marijuana laws.

In my view, if marijuana is legalized as a medical drug then there will be a tremendous amount of detrimental issues regarding substance abuse. How can a drug really be beneficial when it will lead to its further abuse and future problems for the federal government? Better knowledge is not worth the price of the thousands that would be affected by this promotion. After all, a drug is a drug, not a panacea. Only time will tell what this drug can really do for our society.