Genius vs. Drug Addict | Teen Ink

Genius vs. Drug Addict

January 26, 2011
By JennJenn BRONZE, Bangor, Pennsylvania
JennJenn BRONZE, Bangor, Pennsylvania
4 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."
— Chuck Palahniuk


Sigmund Freud The father of Psychoanalysis. In English, The inventor of talk therapy, dream interpretation, etc. The man who got into people's heads for possibly the first time in history; who every person who heads off to college with their Psychology Majors now strives to (but fails) to be as smart as. He understood the mind, he was able to get into these almost "misunderstood beings" (as mental illness was really never looked at too intensly until this point.)

He was an avid Cocaine user. "He was an early advocate of cocaine, used it himself, and touted it to his associates, one of whom demonstrated that it could be used as a local anesthetic"

Death: September 23, 1939

Albert Einstein
Labeled baisically as the smartest man alive. Father of Modern Physics. Partical Theory, Motion of Molecules, E=MC2, etc. The list goes on, it's Einstein. The man who looked at these theoreis of light, space, time and picked them apart, disected them, proved a better way to explain it. Proved a better wayt o explain the universe as a whole. Even his last name is now a synonym for "genius."

The autopsy of his death showed that his auortic aneurysm was most likely caused by his several years of cocaine use. Traces of LSD and DMT (another psychadelic) were found in his system.

Death: April 18th, 1955





...Now these are only two examples. Yet many (you can even say most) of the greatest Philosophers, Inventors, Geniuses that we as a generation here admire as the greatest, smartest people to ever walk this earth were, in fact, the people that society today would label as "drug addicts." Perhaps in fact the lowest you can label someone, for the labels that go along with this: criminal, scumbag, delinquent.


However these people were nothing of that sort- they were people with a thought, an idea, a dream who turned it into a lifetime of work to create these ideas that would live past their lifetime and carry over into the next. Think about the impact just these two people alone have on the earth (that they left long ago) today. Their ideas, something they created with their minds, turned into what your grandparents, parents, children and even their kids have learned and will always learn until probably the end of time. (Although the future is unknown to all of us)



So what does that say. Why am I typing this.



These two geniuses were metioned in conversation with my fiance, and it surprised me that they were "on drugs." So I did some research.



The articles following these discoveries shocked me. We worshiped these people, we still do. And though most overlook the fact that yes, they used substances, some of these websites shocked me.



"The Straight Dope" (Fighting Ignorance since 1973) is a website that degradingly talks about Sigmund Freud's drug use.

The man who invented Psychology... is being degraded for this.



Are you understanding what I'm saying?



They're not any less brilliant! Just because of drugs, just because of this chemical that they chose to put into their body, they are literally being made fun of. Yet the people who point the finger at these distinguished minds, who looks down on them for their choices.. what do they have to show for their lifetime?



Probably nothing, but they feel better for doing "the right thing."



Who says what's right?



People describe drugs as a mind-altering chemical substance. I am not here condoning drug use in the slightest bit; however, I'm not saying don't. In fact this has nothing to do with anybody reading this, and whether or not they do drugs. And yes, I will be the first to admit that is is possible to go overboard with drug use.



It's just that these outstanding minds of long ago used them to stretch what the human mind can understand- Used them to better their thinking, and create what hasnt been created. And personally, I see nothing wrong with that, but I am outraged at the public's response to it. If they didn't know about the "horrible things they were doing with their lives," well, maybe they should have found out what was actually going on "behind closed doors" before they were recognized as the smartest people to ever live.



So the people who are so deeply distraught and outraged by these facts, well.. maybe you should see a psychiatrist. Or not, because that too was created by a "drug addict."

But until you think of something better then Modern Physics...


The author's comments:
The idea was presented to me by my fiance, Zach. The article and research was put together and created by myself.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 11 comments.


101100 said...
on Oct. 31 2016 at 5:37 am
Respectable^^

101100 said...
on Oct. 31 2016 at 5:37 am
Respectable^^

101100 said...
on Oct. 31 2016 at 5:36 am
It takes a lot of intelligence to analyze something that is stigmatized socially from a rational perspective. Although some of the information may not be gathered from reliable sources, the perspective is respective.

Laura said...
on Sep. 11 2014 at 7:30 pm
Einstein suffered from AD(H)D. Cocaine (if he did use it) could've gave him extra motivation. The brain is fascinating..

kiko said...
on Feb. 12 2013 at 11:27 am
Now im not saying that i agree with one or the other, but all im saying is that i do see both points, but you cannot put them in a catagory where everyone else is. for all we know these man could have just done it when they needed to focus more, or MAYBE they were just literally addicted to these drugs that they just were not on "their" state of mind.. All im saying is that people see EVERYTHING different.. and im guessing these guys explained to "visions" to this world.. DON'T JUDGE.. GooooNight.

on Apr. 11 2012 at 4:57 pm
JennJenn BRONZE, Bangor, Pennsylvania
4 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."
— Chuck Palahniuk

 I agree. Everyone needs to keep in mind that some people do get addicted, give in to the weakest part of their minds. But some people use substances as a way to look at things in a way they haven't seen before. Sometimes you need to change your mindset to understand something- This applies to things besides drugs, like if you can't figure out a problem and look at it from a different point of view- the solution becomes clear. 

 

experimentation should never mean ostrazation. clearly not everyone will agree with everything everyone else does, but it is naive to classify people because of something one once heard.


on Mar. 21 2012 at 7:03 pm
Have you ever thought that maybe these 2 brilliant men would not be the smartest men in the world without using some of the specific drugs? not just these 2, the most great men were using some kind of drugs..maybe this was the fact that changed something in their mind-brain so they can SEE more things, THINK more things, & having amazing IDEAS..

on Sep. 15 2011 at 11:13 am
JennJenn BRONZE, Bangor, Pennsylvania
4 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."
— Chuck Palahniuk

That was not my point of the article. Of course drugs are damaging, and almost everyone who has ever used them, thats including myself-I am speaking from personal experience- understands that. My point is this. These two people- Albert Eistein and Sigmund Freud- created ideas that would change the world, praised to the ends of the earth even today for being brilliant. Why are there people who still think they are "addicts" because they used substances- as if all that work was suddenly useless when that part of the public heard the word cocaine. You'll notice they won't teach that part in school. I wrote this, just to make a point that not all drug use is going to leave you in "institutions, jails, and death" (As stated in part of the Narcotic Anonymous meeting format.) My point is that some people that have been publicized (ie. Amy Winehouse along with others) did fall into the pit of drug addiction; however, do not speak for all the public. I'm saying maybe our generation has the idea all wrong. People do die, people do land in jail, but some people that use substances invent psychology and figure out modern physics, and do not deserve to be labeled because other people messed it up, and most people are hard headed. I just didn't understand why people could say anything degrading about them at all. Some of the smartest people of all time should not have to go along with the list of crack-cocaine addicts (Which is not pure cocaine, it's cocaine cooked down with water and baking soda then dries into a smokable "rock" formation.. I research everything, want to know the basics of anything that goes into my body, Good or bad) that I see on the city streets. I just don't understand how people can justify why they're degrading some of the smartest people of all time on this earth, who did more for this world than most will. Not all, most. 

 

I think you should write a counter-acting essay. Topics we feel strongly about usually make for the best pieces.


just for you said...
on Jul. 24 2011 at 2:24 am

I think people do deserve to be judged harshly for drug use because it is damaging to the body in ways that you won't really know until you are older. Then you will look back and say WHY? And you turn around and try to tell a kid. He's like "Whatever." 

There is no reason to be using cocaine, ever. Especially if you are using 'real' cocaine... as in something with actual potency. 

I mean, I could easily write an essay to counter yours. If you have mental illness it's even worse to use cocaine. 

 

Ask Amy Winehouse...


on Apr. 28 2011 at 4:06 pm
JennJenn BRONZE, Bangor, Pennsylvania
4 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."
— Chuck Palahniuk

thanks for the input lucyy. everyones opinions are always welcome, up for discussion.

on Apr. 14 2011 at 11:54 am
OneProzacADay PLATINUM, State College, Pennsylvania
37 articles 0 photos 58 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You are the universe expressing itself as human for a little while." -Eckhart Tolle

haha sorry i meant to reply to lil cupcake's comment..

on Apr. 14 2011 at 11:53 am
OneProzacADay PLATINUM, State College, Pennsylvania
37 articles 0 photos 58 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You are the universe expressing itself as human for a little while." -Eckhart Tolle

i understand where you are coming from. drugs can be damaging to your body and your life. all she is saying is that judging people so harshly because they do drugs is outrageous. she specifically states that she is not condoning drug use. i respect your values, but instead of judging people so harshly, help them.

on Feb. 14 2011 at 12:44 pm
JennJenn BRONZE, Bangor, Pennsylvania
4 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."
— Chuck Palahniuk

i understand you're views too. i was admitted into a d&a rehab at the end of august. but the statement "nobody should do drugs." ..well, thats an opinion. as with all things, there is a 'right' and 'wrong' way to do everything and anything in your life... but those desicions, as well as every one you make, is a matter of personal choice.

thank you for youre input!


lil cupcake said...
on Feb. 9 2011 at 11:12 am
nobody should do drugs bevause you can hurt someone you love like your parents and your other family members.your family would just look at you and be sad because they could'nt do nothing about it ,and you cant do nothing either because it was to late to save yourself.you would just be in the hospital waiting on the results if there is a way to save you.if you are reding this and you wanna do drugs, please just think about how your life is going to be, your future.yo will strugle to save your save your self and eating too if you dont have somebody to care for you...