Drug Use Should Be Legal in America

Next year, America will have undergone two changes that seem to run counter to each other. Absinthe will be legal, while the hallucinogen salvia is currently in the process of becoming illegal in the states. While absinthe has long been maligned as a hideous threat to life and society, salvia is known to be rather harmless unless smoked or chewed in very high doses. However, the potential for harm with any drugs does not conern me. What does is their legal status. I think that all drugs (including cigarettes, alcohol and even meth) should be made legal for anybody 18 years or older. Drug legalization will not cause the downfall of society, it could easily save some lives and it would cerainly put more money in government coffers, allowing more funding for things like road improvement, technology research and education.
First things first. Alcohol was once abhorred to the point of being banned in America, on the grounds that it would cause irreparable damage to the structure of society. As we all learn in school, Prohibition didn't last all that long. Since alcohol was re-legalized, it has clearly not destroyed the U.S. Alcohol use is generally not allowed at most workplaces, and such would be the case with any other drug. Also prominent is the fact that many drugs which are prohibited in America are not in the Netherlands. Dutch society is not some hellish, broken world and Holland is a thriving first world country. I am skeptical (to say the least) that letting people eat magic mushrooms will kill America.
This is probably a good time to address methamphetamine. My opinion is that if someone is stupid enough to cook up things like cough syrup, ammonia and lithium, then smoke the product, those people might not be the most valuable members of society anyway. They can go right ahead and mess up their lives.
Drug legalization would, on the other hand, be able to save many other lives. Just like with cigarettes and alcohol, the government could regulate production and prices of any drugs. Varying potencies and warnings could be established. If drug strength and content were regulated and drugs legalized, manufacturers who make drugs in unhealthy ways would become obsolete and drug use might easily become much safer.
Legal drugs would also allow the government to collect more taxes. More government funds can spell more money being spent on improvements in fields such as education, transportation and technology research.
Drug use should be legal in America. It would benefit the government and not harm the populace.

swcricket98 said...
Jun. 27, 2011 at 12:57 am:
Honestly, I didn't even feel like I needed to read this. I don't believe that any of you realize why these drugs are not legal in the first place. People DIE because of drugs. People make idiotic mistakes while under the influence. People can't make desicions while they are high. NO way. This is absolutely ridiculous. Are there any responsible people in the world any more?

swcricket98 replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 7:25 pm :
Whatever ya'll want to think.

TheSihlouettedMan replied...
Jul. 5, 2012 at 7:44 pm :
Thank you, I cannot share how much I understand how you feel swcricket98! I'm afaraid the number of responsible people may be dwindling too.

TheSihlouettedMan replied...
Jul. 5, 2012 at 7:52 pm :

To Fluffy2772: Not true, prohibition obviously was not a good move, but alcohol use can be controlled. If prohibition were used as an example it doesn't show why all the other laws keeping drugs illegal are working. Honestly, legallizing this stuff only lets gangs and dealers and everyone else come out from under their covers and sell the stuff out in the open, turning America into a real h#ll hole.

A saying to be used:

"Lowering the need to enforce standards in societ... (more »)

rockyraccoon said...
Jun. 17, 2011 at 9:29 pm:
i agree the goverment could control the drug trade maby make weaker versions of strong drugs and use the profits to help with other things it would hurt and even stop many gangs all over the place.

tori@101.com said...
Apr. 22, 2011 at 9:16 am:
I think all drugs should be banned to everyone no matter what age

Evie52 replied...
May 25, 2011 at 4:31 pm :
i think the same thing as you drugs are bad for you unless they are legal and used in the right way

tati_pax said...
ithink that pot should be legalized..there are very few other things that ithink would be worth the risk of legalization

bored_schoolboy replied...
May 13, 2011 at 12:19 pm :
Your right, its easy to defend marijuana being legalized but thats because its the safest drug out there. People die more from Asprin than most other illegal drugs but were not about to make that illegal

.o0OPieIsAwkwardO0o. said...
Mar. 31, 2011 at 7:16 pm:
I AGREE. Because right now the people who are selling these drugs are criminals. If the government started selling these drugs, a /lot/ more money would flow into the economy. Plus, with it being commonly available, the allure would downsize a lot, and people who get high like every day might only start getting high once a week. Because a lot of people who do drugs, probably just do them because they are illegal.

AMP1 said...
Agreed except the bit about how drug users aren't valuable members of society. Just because some people make differant decisions from you doesn't mean there les important. I think people should have the righnt to do what they want with there own bodies but maybe that's just me :).

mucho cocho replied...
Mar. 31, 2011 at 7:26 am :
I think your wrong drugs should be illegal because of how many people die a year   because of cancer from cigarettes and meth and mostly any other drug they make.and thousnads of underaged kids  do drugs cause they think that its cool to.then later they die.

Joe replied...
Mar. 31, 2011 at 8:03 am :
I think that we shouldnt be alegal because then people get druged up and they could die or get really sick they should only be for people who need them and they should leave them locked up and people shouldt drink alcohal because they could get drunk and do somthing they dont want to do like kill themselvs...

zebrachic said...
Jan. 2, 2011 at 4:56 am:
Well... i am not too sure if I fully agree but I do recognize the fact that the drugs are illegal does kind of make people want to do them more. If drugs were legal then it wouldn't be so mysterious to do, except to the kids who can't have it and there are bozos who buy it for them.

DawnMarie said...

3 million people die each year from illegal drugs. 400,000 die each year from cigarettes, and the number is expected to double in a year. Families devastated and torn apart, relationships ruined, money wasted....

Yeah, and you want drugs to be legal, why? Oh yeah, for roads.

Ha, good luck with that.

randomdude said...
woot go this kid al tho meth will mess u up trust me

EireneThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I agree that we should legalize drugs, because we have many different things today that could be classified as drugs yet they are not. Also, drugs are not all that different from alcohol and tobacco products.

malcolm1992 replied...
Nov. 19, 2010 at 12:33 pm :
i dont. i think drugs are straight stupid

keein said...
First of all i agree i do think that you need to rethink this. if we legalise drugs after age of 18 we will have a lot of mental people in this world most drugs that are illegal are illegal for a reason they are dangerous and can cause brain damage and all sorts of bad things too many to name. it takes controll of your body and your not the same i know because i have seen it my uncle went to jail for the use of alcohol and drugs, it was a bad sight and very upsetting the way he acted and looked ... (more »)

justagirl.. said...
You need rethink this. Natural drugs, good. Other drugs and alchol, destroy lives and the lives of surrounding friends and family members.

HazelKush said...
Aug. 23, 2010 at 11:45 am:

Love it. And agree %1000000000. Great writing!:D