Do Teenagers No Longer Know How to Have Fun?

It seems like today teenagers don't know how to make their own fun without getting drunk. Remember playing man hunt at or having a movie night with your best friends? Were those times so bad that they need to be replaced with raging parties? I don't want to sound like a nerd by saying I have a good time playing scrabble or obsessing over Taylor Lautner's abs with my best friends on my Friday nights, but that's what's fun for me. I don't know why teens feel like they need alcohol in the first place. I have never gotten drunk, but we all know the effects of it. Making regrettable mistakes while drunk and being hungover doesn't seem like much fun to me. Sometimes I think, well maybe everybody drinks because they are stressed. I don't think that's an occasion for a party, though. I personally have been through multiple breakdowns due to a seemingly endless amount of homework balanced with clubs and sports. Never have I let this stress make me want to drink though. I sometimes think it shouldn't bother me. If that's what people think is fun, why should I ruin it for them? I wouldn't want them messing with my scrabble tiles or blocking my view of a sexy werewolf. Maybe it's just fun for them because it makes them feel like rebels. "Hey! Look at me! I'm in a picture on facebook with a red solo cup! I'm so bad ass!" I don't know what goes their minds. All I know is I can't change them. I'll have my fun my way and they can have their fun their way.

BlueRainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Yeah, our ways of having fun are really ridiculous. I don't even drink normal soda anymore, and I've promised myself I will never drink, and for some reason people are surprised at how easily I make that kind of promise, which surprises me. I don't care if I can be shy and introverted sometimes, I'm not going to just let loose without any control. If there's at least one thing in this world that I have control over, it will be my actions. I got freaked out when my dentist once gave me laughing g... (more »)

dogdaysareover replied...
Dec. 26, 2011 at 10:55 pm :
I completely understand. Over the holidays all my family members kept telling me that soon it'll be my turn to drink. I felt awkward telling them that I don't even want to drink because I doubt they would believe me. I'm afraid of what they'll say when I'm 21 and turn the drink down, but it's not going to change my opinion.

pinkiceys said...
Feb. 21, 2011 at 11:15 am:
I agree, for most people being high or getting wasted is like their crutch. They don't have backbones so they rely on alchohol so they wont have to deal with their problems or feel the pain of a bad breakup. but are they really running away? They're just delaying. Eventually we all have to face our fears sometime!

Yareli L. said...
well i think you are right ... we have fun our own way but why drugs,right? i agree with you

dogdaysareover replied...
Sept. 29, 2010 at 5:59 pm :
thank you!

mlm1992 said...
I argee with toxic.monkey. It seems like you are just talking bout our generation. It is really what we choose to do ].

dogdaysareover replied...
Sept. 20, 2010 at 7:33 pm :
I didn't mean for it to sound like I'm just talking about our generation.  I'm just saying how I've experienced how MY generation's ideas of fun have changed. It's just the only generation I can speak for.

mlm1992 replied...
Sept. 21, 2010 at 3:05 pm :
well it does sound let tht im sorry but it does

dogdaysareover replied...
Sept. 21, 2010 at 6:06 pm :
if i took out the word today in the first sentence would it not sound like that?  i don't see what else makes it seem like that :/

mlm1992 replied...
Sept. 22, 2010 at 2:36 pm :
if you read it. it will. try reading it like you didnt write it. put urself in someone else's shoe and u will see

dogdaysareover replied...
Sept. 22, 2010 at 5:11 pm :
i don't really :/ but now im embaressed of the errors i didn't catch before publishing this lol 

mlm1992 replied...
Sept. 23, 2010 at 3:04 pm :

how r u embaressed

dogdaysareover replied...
Sept. 23, 2010 at 4:49 pm :
of my grammatical errors? haha and leaving out words

mlm1992 replied...
Sept. 29, 2010 at 2:39 pm :
its ok we all do tht not just you. You can look at mine i have on here. I really dont think its good

toxic.monkey said...
Well... sounds like you're saying it's just our generation. It's a lot of generations! Everyone tried everything in the past, we didn't invent drinking or smoking or pot. I do agree that it's totally our choice of what we do for fun- drinking or obsessing over Lautner abs ;)

dogdaysareover replied...
Sept. 17, 2010 at 7:44 pm :
Well I'm speaking on behalf of our generation (and I refuse to believe that my parents ever touched the stuff when they were teenagers!)  I do think its weird to think about what our parents, teachers, and other adults did when they were in high school, though.

toxic.monkey replied...
Sept. 19, 2010 at 9:44 am :
i'm pretty sure that parents and teachers are suspicious of us when we hit high school is because they remember what was happening around them orwhat they did and don't want us to do it. i don't think it's necessarily true for your parents or anything, I'm just saying that this doesn't make people "bad" straight away.

dogdaysareover replied...
Sept. 19, 2010 at 5:23 pm :
I agree, teachers do probably know what's going on especially because kids talk about it right in front of them.  I don't want you to think that I think it makes them bad people.  In fact, I do have some friends who drink (when I'm not with them) and I still like them.  I think people do it to be rebels without a cause and I think that's stupid considering how harmful it can be to your body, especially if you do it excessively. I especially don't like when people post pictures of ... (more »)

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was so simple... and yet so wise.

dogdaysareover replied...
Sept. 6, 2010 at 10:30 am :
thank you.  nobody has ever called me or my writing wise before!