The Effects of Legalizing Marijuana | Teen Ink

The Effects of Legalizing Marijuana

By Richard Brewer BRONZE, Prosser, Washington
Richard Brewer BRONZE, Prosser, Washington

The legalization of marijuana I believe is a heated topic for many, and has been discussed numerous times. This is due to wither people wanting to smoke, or that people who feel they need it for some physical problem that the doctors believe is not sever enough to prescribe such a prescription. To me under no circumstances should marijuana be legal, unless in the situation of a person having cancer or diseases that may make a person want to stop eating. No person should be given the right to use such a lethal toxin unless absolutely needed. This substance, because it is mind altering, the American people may acquire some medical problems from this drug. So therefore, I believe that the United State should not legalize marijuana because of the problems that may occur from it.

I strongly believe that the United States should not legalize the use of marijuana for public use. I announce this because if marijuana is legal, users will be walking down the street smoking a pipe, joint, or a blunt and if this action was to occur early in the morning or when it is fogy the chemical, Tetrahydrocannabinol (T.H.C) will linger in the air for infants and young kids to inhale. This can cause a huge problem because as a child’s brain is still developing the T.H.C can stop the growth of brain cells. Over time this chemical will lead to permification. Permification is when the brain cells have stopped working properly and has caused permanent brain damage. So there is one of the biggest problems that can occur if marijuana is legalized.

Therefore, I believe marijuana should not be legalized because of the problems it may create. Marijuana has chemicals that cause a person’s mind to become altered. From this they can acquire permanent brain damage.

on May. 4 2010 at 5:06 pm
Jordan901278 BRONZE, Long Pond, Pennsylvania

"Moloch! Burns down the love of the world." - Allen Ginsberg

So, your point for your arguement against marijuana, is that early morning pot-smokers will walk down the street puffing away, and the smoke will linger in the air and get babies high? Not only would the smoke be blown away by the wind, but the THC would be immediatley dispersed and ineffective as soon as it is blown out of the lungs into the air. THC-Release is heat activated, so not only do the lungs of the early morning pot-smoker intake 90% of the THC, but blowing out the smoke that acts like it's taxi would be as harmless as steam floating off of a coffee pot.  

miss_mt_dew said...
on May. 1 2010 at 8:39 am
miss_mt_dew, West Palm Beach, Florida

Jesus may love you, but everybody else thinks you're an a**.

You have good points... you should try playing devil's advocate and write an essay 'for' marijuana.  it would be cool to see what you come up with!