What Anna Did This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

By , NYOB, NJ
Meet Anna.I have known Anna since we were in first grade.Anna and I were best friends.We were going to the same high school and one mprning,I didn't see Anna on the bus.When I got to school,I saw Anna standing outside the school,smoking pot with some other kids I didn't know very well.I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw her.She looked my way and our eyes met.But there was no emotion in her cool gray eyes.They were empty.A million questions filled my mind.How long had this been going on?Why was Anna doing this?Why didn't she tell me?How had I not noticed?After that day,Anna and I didn't speak for months,even though her house was next to mine and we saw eachother everyday,neither of us uttered a word of acknowledgement.When my mom asked me why Anna never came over anymore,I just shrugged.I don't know why I didn't tell her the truth about Anna.One night the kids I had seen Anna smoking pot with that one day outside the school came and picked her up for a party.I watched from my window.Then,at around two in the morning,I woke up to the sound of my mother pounding on the door.She told me that Anna was in the hospital,and I immediately knew why.We drove to the hospital in silence.When I went to visit Anna,her "friends",the ones she had been doing drugs with,weren't there with her,holding her hand and telling her everything was going to be alright.I was.I learned that at the party,Anna had been smoking,drinking,and doing drugs with the other kids,and her body couldn't take it.She passed out,and 911 was called.She had been rushed to the hospital.Anna almost lost her life that night. After that,Anna stopped drinking and smoking and doing drugs.I didn't know it,but,right under my nose,Anna had become a drug addict,an alcoholic,and a smoker.And after that night,Anna forced herself to quit.Anna wanted her life back.She could have died that night.So don't do drugs.Don't drink.And don't smoke.Don't do what Anna did.

beautifulspirit This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 21, 2012 at 11:23 am:
A sad, but true story thaat happens in a lot of young lives. This time is such a crucial period in anyone's life and I'm glad that Anna had a happy ending--it couldn't have been easy.

LifesIllusion said...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 8:31 am:
I agree. They are always telling us not to do this or that and finally someone had a reason why! Good article. LOVED the message.

Paranormal4Ever said...
Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:13 pm:
most of the time you see: Don't do drugs, drink, smoke, ect.  they never really put forth good reasoning, you did.

star22 said...
that was a very good way to tell kids to NOT do drugs, smoke, and drink.  especially if you're under age.

kayogirl94 said...
This is a good story. However, I think if you elaborated on it, and showed the reader a little more, it could have been amazing. Descriptions are very important, as well as technicalities and grammar. That's just my two sense.

Taylor.Sangria This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 11, 2010 at 8:30 am:

So some constructive criticism:

I think this would have been a lot more powerful if it had been separated into paragraphs, because I felt like it all sort of ran together. It was still quite good though.

twilighter_360 said...
this is confusing to a lot of people so let me set the record straight: this is LOOSELY BASED on an experience told to me from a friend's point of view. Most events are purely fictional

beccabex24 replied...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 7:01 pm :
this is beautiful

annalena224 replied...
Jun. 15, 2010 at 8:37 pm :
As nice as the story was, next time, whoever's point of view it was from should tell someone, otherwise you're partially liable for what happens to Anna.

dragonfan said...
Wow! I don't know what to say this is amazing and sad all at the same time.

Dara R. replied...
Nov. 14, 2009 at 10:26 am :
thank you. yes, i am anonymous, i wrote this, its about my best friend anna. we are still a big part of eachother's lives but this changed alot.

dragonfan replied...
Nov. 14, 2009 at 11:52 am :
oh,im varry sorry about you friend I understand how it must of changed your friend ship but its good you are still friends

Dara R. replied...
Nov. 15, 2009 at 10:00 am :
you dont need to be sorry but thanks for that