WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING... | Teen Ink

WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING...

By OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other
OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

You should try everything in life, except incest and barn-dancing.

I’m sorry to say it, but scrolling through this category makes me a little ashamed of being a teenager.

By the looks of things, most of us are intent on gabbling on about the news that (shock-horror) smoking, drinking and drugs can shorten your life-span. As if we haven’t been told enough already. Now, I’m not advocating a life that revolves around the next fix, cig, or flagon - but let’s at least enjoy ourselves. Without these three deadly sins, where would we be?

Where would art, music and our beloved literature be without drugs? How could the artist, musician or novelist survive without the odd hasty cigarette clenched between their troubled lips? Where would the weekends of stumbling, spewing and stupidity be without the litres of white cider and mysterious mixed spirits?

If we are all as clever as we would like to think, why is it that we still torture our bodies with these fatal excesses?

The answer is fun - doing stuff for the pure hell of it - it’s supposed to be what we (teenagers) live for. Now is the time to feast on rebellion, however petty, and believe ourselves to be invincible. So why waste it preaching to the unconvertible, when there’s plenty of sensible heads on aging shoulders to do that for us?

Let’s stop patronising each other, and just enjoy surviving. After all, good health is merely the slowest rate at which we can die!

I know bad ratings are going to be inevitable (if anyone even reads this) but I hope that if you actually do give it a glance, you'll be able to see where I'm coming from. I understand the terrible affects that drink and drugs can have on our lives - but let's not forget the unforgettable and inspirational moments that they can provide...

on Nov. 27 2009 at 1:47 am
MaryJane420 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
"But I don't comprehend how drinking or shooting up to conform to the majority is creative nor artistic."

I wonder where you live that you're stating that the "majority" is drinking and shooting up. ESPECIALLY shooting up. You talk about statistics, meanwhile you obviously don't know any...?

on Nov. 26 2009 at 6:52 pm
ninja_warrior SILVER, Thorold, Other

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

I think most people confuse fun with reclessness. Fun takes several different forms, as it is different for each person. Some may think that getting intoxicated to the point of passing out is, "Fun." Some may consider it an outlet. But I don't comprehend how drinking or shooting up to comform to the majority is creative nor artistic. If anything doing drugs makes you another statistic. It's not that teens are think like adults, it's that they are coming up with more creative and artistic idea's of fun. And I know people who have been killed off an overdose and I'm sure that those few minutes of fun were really worth it.

on Nov. 26 2009 at 9:12 am
OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

Thank you very much :)

on Nov. 26 2009 at 9:11 am
OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

Thanks a lot!

on Nov. 25 2009 at 10:20 pm
ShernayB. DIAMOND, Southfield, Michigan

"Some things will never change"---Tupac

Of course I know you're not encouraging it, but to others it may seem like it. I just wanted to know what the meaning of the piece was. I think you are brilliant for this and brave.

on Nov. 25 2009 at 5:27 pm
pinkjello1994 BRONZE, Ocala, Florida

"Never regret what once made you happy"

haha i agree! i love the crazy times i have with my friends on weekend i dont do drugs or drunk so im always there for them when they get a little too crazy but i agree at our age we shouldent be thinking like adults but still thinking about who we will be when we are adults.

on Nov. 25 2009 at 4:43 am
OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

First of all, as I've said before, my aim wasn't to encourage rampant drug and alcohol abuse, just defend to those that do so in some sort of moderation. I'm not neccessarily saying that art, music and literature would be worse off - just different. Of course there are many creative people who don't use drugs, but on the other hand it is impossible to deny that drugs and alcohol are an integral part of the creative process for some. The psychedelic movement of the 60's (especially here in Britain) brought some of the most innovative and influential art, music and literature of the modern age. The Roman poet Ovid once said: "There is no poetry amongst water drinkers", so my ideas are hardly original!

twiwrite GOLD said...
on Nov. 23 2009 at 9:26 pm
twiwrite GOLD, Modesto, California

none :P

i have to say i do see where you are coming from, its the comman stereo type of missunderstood writer/ arist whatever... you make a very good point of how there are people like that but there are alot of people who arnt. i do beleive that you have shown ge=reat skill when you wrote this, and have made a good point.

Jaquie BRONZE said...
on Nov. 23 2009 at 3:36 pm
Jaquie BRONZE, West Palm Beach, Florida

This is certainly one of my favorites: "I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes." -2 Samuel 6:22

I assure you, its not wasted.

on Nov. 23 2009 at 12:38 pm
OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

thanks for the compliments and defence lovehate29!

on Nov. 23 2009 at 12:36 pm
OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I wasn't expecting everyone, or anyone for that matter, to agree with me - I was only hoping they would at least consider my perspective and not make judgments about me personally (last few comments below are prime examples of those who have completely misunderstood me)...Thank you again!

on Nov. 21 2009 at 11:33 pm
emjay1216 SILVER, Eugene, Oregon

Often times, the test of courage is not to die, but to live.
~ Vittorio Alfieri

i will keep god 2 myself. i respect that people may be religious and some may not.

on Nov. 21 2009 at 11:28 pm
emjay1216 SILVER, Eugene, Oregon

~ Vittorio Alfieri

i said im sorry!!!! it was agreat article, ok? i just thought...well you already know. why ru dogging on me? i apologized. bug off.

Jaquie BRONZE said...
on Nov. 21 2009 at 12:01 pm
Jaquie BRONZE, West Palm Beach, Florida

I am sorry you feel this way and will continue to pray for you.

God bless,

...,

on Nov. 21 2009 at 11:33 am
ShernayB. DIAMOND, Southfield, Michigan

"Some things will never change"---Tupac

a lot of people could find ways to have fun, and it doesn't mean jumping up on drugs. Think about it, if you do it before you have a family, while you're young, it may affect your life in the future. Health problems, regret.

on Nov. 21 2009 at 11:30 am
ShernayB. DIAMOND, Southfield, Michigan

"Some things will never change"---Tupac

I believe this piece is stirring a lot of tough comments, but there are a lot of artists in the world who say the exact thing; maybe just not so...straight, clear, to the point. Take these rappers...they promote the same kind of messages. Their songs influence a lot of young teens to smoke, drink, take drugs. And yet they are still being accepted. So, in my opinion he has a lot of potential in being a writer. I like the fact that he is brave enough to share his opinion, isn't that what a true writer is? Although I do not support this piece, I do support his mind set and potential.

on Nov. 21 2009 at 11:19 am
ShernayB. DIAMOND, Southfield, Michigan

"Some things will never change"---Tupac

Wow! Okay, to me, this piece is like another rap song that negatively inspire young teens to smoke, drink, and pop pills. Of course no one has the right to tell you not to publish your opinions, your feelings, your thoughts for it is protected in the Constitution. But also, I have the right to say whatever I feel. You state "Where would art, music and our beloved literature be without drugs?" It is a lot of places without drugs. All these teenagers here on teenink .com , most of them are not on drugs and look at the beautiful work they have posted. What kind of message are you trying to convey in this piece? I am not following.

WingedReader said...
on Nov. 20 2009 at 4:16 pm
I'm sure that you are receiving a multitude of tough comments right now. All I can say is, you're very brave and very smart. I love your angle of things.

I may not agree with everything, but I love to see your take on creativity. And just think of the Beatles! "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" is one of their classic songs-- and yet it is totally out there. A ton of people say they were high when they wrote it. ... and yet, it is still loved. So you're right. With out taking these risks, people may never experience creativity at its highest.

Brilliant piece. Even if it causes much controversy, it makes them think.

on Nov. 20 2009 at 2:32 pm
emjay1216 SILVER, Eugene, Oregon

~ Vittorio Alfieri

i apologize. i misinterpreted. my mistake.

twiwrite GOLD said...
on Nov. 20 2009 at 2:26 pm
twiwrite GOLD, Modesto, California

none :P

so you really think that?

there are so many more creative people out there in the world who dont harm thier bodies like that. if thats the way you carry on your life you will quickly not be a writer.

if you claim to be a writer you are on the fast track to killing not only yourself but also the skills you might need to survive with when you are older.