WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING... | Teen Ink

WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING...

By OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other
OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

You should try everything in life, except incest and barn-dancing.

I’m sorry to say it, but scrolling through this category makes me a little ashamed of being a teenager.

By the looks of things, most of us are intent on gabbling on about the news that (shock-horror) smoking, drinking and drugs can shorten your life-span. As if we haven’t been told enough already. Now, I’m not advocating a life that revolves around the next fix, cig, or flagon - but let’s at least enjoy ourselves. Without these three deadly sins, where would we be?

Where would art, music and our beloved literature be without drugs? How could the artist, musician or novelist survive without the odd hasty cigarette clenched between their troubled lips? Where would the weekends of stumbling, spewing and stupidity be without the litres of white cider and mysterious mixed spirits?

If we are all as clever as we would like to think, why is it that we still torture our bodies with these fatal excesses?

The answer is fun - doing stuff for the pure hell of it - it’s supposed to be what we (teenagers) live for. Now is the time to feast on rebellion, however petty, and believe ourselves to be invincible. So why waste it preaching to the unconvertible, when there’s plenty of sensible heads on aging shoulders to do that for us?

Let’s stop patronising each other, and just enjoy surviving. After all, good health is merely the slowest rate at which we can die!

I know bad ratings are going to be inevitable (if anyone even reads this) but I hope that if you actually do give it a glance, you'll be able to see where I'm coming from. I understand the terrible affects that drink and drugs can have on our lives - but let's not forget the unforgettable and inspirational moments that they can provide...

ThatBlondGuy SILVER, Mableton, Georgia
I know. I know. I see what you mean.
What I'm trying to express is that you will have hundreds more great moments if you don't do drugs. And those moments don't have to involve getting high, getting drunk, getting cancer, getting dizzy. Ha, even getting girls pregnant . You name it.

OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

Point taken, but my view is that great moments are what make life worth living - bongs and booze provide a few (a few) of those moments.

on Jan. 4 2010 at 10:34 am
ThatBlondGuy SILVER, Mableton, Georgia
Are you serious?

This is why the teachers ARE ranting. It always seems like you're in control, but you're not. Explain all the people that have ended up on the streets because of drugs. Drugs have so many negative outcomes and only one positive one:

The moment. It feels good for the moment.

And why is the moment worth the cost of the rest of your life?

on Jan. 4 2010 at 10:32 am
ThatBlondGuy SILVER, Mableton, Georgia
Want the truth? I see where you're coming from. And, (less importantly,) at least you've written a varying article from the typical crap that rants about drugs just like teachers would.
Want another truth: you still have the wrong idea. You've romanticized the image of drugs. You're thinking of all those artists, musicians, and actors who used drugs. You, in turn, made the conclusion that drugs make a person creative.
Wrong.
Drugs were the worst part of their lives. And alcohol. And smoking. Creativity doesn't come from how high you get. Drugs, alcohol, and smoking dragged them down. Don't forget the times when they over-dosed or had their families desert them.
Beyond that, why do you do drugs? IS it because you want to be famous and creative? Is it because you want to be cool?
Rethink what you've said. Seriously. You're sounding dumb.

on Jan. 3 2010 at 1:56 am
beeftown BRONZE, Oxford, Pennsylvania

“Just because you’re an atheist, that doesn’t mean you wouldn’t love for things to have reasons for why they are.”-Jonathan Safran Foer

Here here! I am so tired of just seeing article after article on this site condemning anyone who decides to participate in something like this from time to time. Some people need to step back from the Reagan era drug propaganda and realize that on occasion and in moderation, smoking a bowl or having a drink with your buds, when done in a safe environment and in a responsible manner, is not going to ruin your entire life by any means.

XxHEARTLESSxX, The Ninth Circle, Florida

Burnin in water and drownin in flame, to prove you wrong and scare you away.

I agree somewhat with this, but then again not so much.

I feel, as a 17 year old, i messed up my life using drugs. I smoked marijuana from the age of 13 and it definently left a toll.

I mean, yeah, some people can handle it while others can't. I let it drive a wedge bewteen myself and my family and my friends. I stopped smoking over 6 months ago and i feel my life has changed for the better.

Although i do smoke cigarettes, because life is a little hard at time and anxiety problems leave me in the dust.

omj94 said...
on Dec. 26 2009 at 6:16 am
omj94, Dubai, Other
Haha ;) You know what i mean

BillyJoeBobKellyGeorge PLATINUM, Gardena, California

"Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be." ~ grandma moses

i have mixed emotions when i read your piece. it's a pretty original P.O.V. on drugs and alcohol, and how w/o its influence, a lot of moments in history would have been altered. But put this in perspective: teens don't need drugs to have fun, to rebel, or to be happy. if we stop preaching now, we're pretty much saying that its "ok" to drink underage or drink at all. even if we're "patronizing" each other, we're doing it out of LOVE. =)

AndersN GOLD said...
on Dec. 22 2009 at 10:14 am
AndersN GOLD, Park City, Utah

"I saw an angel in the marble and carved until I set him free." -Michelangelo

Woah there.

1995girl said...
Us a long life doesn't mean a happy life, but an incomplete life would be like writing an essay only to stop after the introduction. You would leave the reader lost and mabey even heart broken. Our action have a equal reaction. So the consequences of doing drungs out numbers what good could really come of it. Therefore the idea of it being, "Not worth it," comes into play. How dumb will you look when you finally get arrested just because you wanted fun.

AndersN GOLD said...
on Dec. 18 2009 at 10:22 am
AndersN GOLD, Park City, Utah

TO everyone who red this article--

I ned to say, whatever you may hear, DO NOT HARM YOUR BODY WITH DRUGS! It will ruin your life forever. Yes, according to this article, it can make you artistic in some ways, but you will be a LOAD more artistic AND happy if you DON'T do drugs! Those people do drugs because they are DEPRESSED!

*~*E.F*~* BRONZE, Cambridge, Other

1) Vini, Vidi, Vici (i came, i saw, i conquered)

i like what you're saying kelz1141...people say i'm abnoxiously happy and i'm not on drugs

KellyR GOLD said...
KellyR GOLD, Richmond, Virginia

We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.

We don't need to do drugs or drink to have fun. Let's just say im high on life. =)

on Dec. 16 2009 at 9:08 am
peace_love_beauty PLATINUM, Florien, Louisiana

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalms 23:4

I guess you're right. I don't agree with smoking or drugs, because even in small amounts they harm, but drinking, as long as it's in small amounts and you're careful and don't do anything stupid it would be okay, but there's always the danger of getting addicted. I just choose to stay away from all that stuff, but I can't tell anyone else to.

Jigjoo GOLD said...
Jigjoo GOLD, Many, Louisiana

Hello. My name is Muerte, and I will be your assassin today.

Oh, yes, the fine line of dangerous indulgence and fun. Where would we be without it? Most people don't realize this, but many artistic and literary greats were fueled by the demons that crept their addicted minds. Of course, drugs, alcohol, and the like are bad for us, but nothing isn't nowadays, it seems. Even the sun is bad for us in large amounts!

*~*E.F*~* BRONZE, Cambridge, Other

I realise that ya we are teenagers and ya we're supposed to have fun but does everyone really have to do something so dangerous to have fun? in my oppinion if you need to drink, smoke, whatever to have fun your the lamest person i have ever met. and as for the arts, i am a singer and a writer (i like to think i have mayber a little bit of talent at those 2 things) and i don't drink, smoke, or whatever and i don't need to in order to be inspired. it sounds corny but all i need is a peaceful moment (listening to music, sitting on my window ledge, listening to the birds, petting my dog, etc.). So i think it's a lame excuse for these 2 things.

frenchfrie35 BRONZE, Westfield, Massachusetts
I see your point here, I've often thought about things such as this, not in relation to drugs, but to other things. When we are told of something's negative effects, we become paranoid and forget that perhaps it has positive effects as well. While I understand what you're saying, I do not support it. If you'll take a look at my article "Crack: And Why It's Not Funny", you'll better understand my perspective and reasons for feeling this way. My father is a drug addict, and nothing good has come out of it but plenty bad has. However, I appreciate the unique outlook!

BrumDubai said...
on Dec. 12 2009 at 7:30 am
Haha, I love this!

Such a good take on the whole thing; makes me not feel as bad for doing it :P

on Nov. 27 2009 at 6:08 am
OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

To be honest, the last line was just a bit of a jokey motto me and my mates use as an excuse to get drunk XD (and a long life doesn't always mean a happy life)

on Nov. 27 2009 at 1:50 am
MaryJane420 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
after living in a world of such monotonous black and white opinions for 15 years, it's ever-so-refreshing to read this surprising and really innovative opinion piece.

kudos, first of all, for being able to post this despite the hate you predicted you'd get (undeserved, of course.)

I don't agree with you 100%. I know a lot of people who had a great input of drugs in their life and a lesser output of anything beneficial, such as art. also, there are a lot of artists, fantastic artists, who are completely drug-free and should be celebrated for being successful anyway.

your last line confuses me. yes. good health will most likely keep you alive. are you trying to avoid that?

anyway, nice new spin, but I think you need to refine your support of drugs just a little.