Something to think about before criticizing Drugs | Teen Ink

Something to think about before criticizing Drugs

The world these days, is tumultuous. By tumultuous, I mean that there are just as many things, or more, as there always have been that make us really stressed out, make us cry, and make us do whatever we do when in distress. I'd like to address my candid remark on teens, or people who do drugs and those who criticize them.

A few days ago, I read an article about a Japanese rock singer who passed away almost 20 years ago--whom many Japanese people remembers to this day. He died at the age of 26. The cause of his death is still controversial. But one thing for sure, is that he was a drug-user and his doing drugs definitely was one of the causes of his death.

Why do I tell this story out of the blue? Well, there were reasons why he had depended on drugs. He started out when he was still in high school. He just loved to sing. But he began to break down as his record label agency treated him badly--He didn't get the money he deserved and when he wanted to sign a contract with a different company, the agency forced him to pay a huge sum of money to keep him from signing with others. He broke down mentally --he just wanted to sing, he didn't want to become a puppet. Singing was the meaning of his life. At this time, he got his hands on drugs, and using drugs, he could stay away from the harsh reality he was confronted with.

I'm not saying that drug use is a good thing, nor am I claiming that it should be acceptable. We really need to pay attention to 'why' teens do drugs. There are many things that could possibly have made them start doing drugs. It might be that they were really depressed because they broke up with their boyfriend or girlfriend. Or that their parents couldn't care for them because of their financial situation. Or that they were little awkward in making friends or talking to people. Everything that makes them stay away from facing the reality.

It's not always too late. We can lift them up from the abyss of drugs before we label them as 'freaks' or 'whackos'. They might have had some bad experiences with some people like the singer I mentioned above. There is nobody that can help them besides us. Lead them out of using drugs.
Like those firefighters rescuing people out of ablaze buildings and houses. We can rescue them. You can.

on May. 30 2010 at 10:12 am
jpaigey0475 SILVER, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri

This is the way the world ends,
This is the way the world ends,
This is the way the world ends,
Not with a bang but a whimper.
-"The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" by T.S. Eliot

I'm completely with you with the whole, people use drugs for a reason. However, I think to make your point stronger you shouldn't say 'they were really depressed because they broke up with their girlfriend or boyfriend' because I don't think that's a good reason [granted there is one] to start drugs. I think you should use a more powerful statement, like someone was being abused, or relentlessly bullied, or their lives were falling a part due to death of a loved one, etc. But overall I liked your piece. 

beccabex24 said...
on Feb. 2 2010 at 6:54 pm
beccabex24, Searingtown, New York

Be who you are and say who you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind.

thats very true... and bautfiully said

on Nov. 1 2009 at 3:48 pm
Electricity PLATINUM, Bradenton, Florida
well written, nicely done!

185441 SILVER said...
on Oct. 15 2009 at 4:46 pm
185441 SILVER, 398765, Other

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Nietzsche

I do feel that you got my point. It always feels good when you know there's people that agree with you. Thanks for your comment.

on Oct. 15 2009 at 12:04 pm
Dokidoki-rin GOLD, Clarence, New York

Whattaya gonna do, ya know?

I understand your take on drugs. I'm a huge fan of Edgar Allen Poe, who sure wasn't a straight edge guy- I think he had a lot of pressure and sadness in his life. I think people who are abusing substances just need a hand or a shoulder. Someone to help them out when the reality of their life, as you say, gets to be too much. I think that's why famous people use them so much.

185441 SILVER said...
on Oct. 9 2009 at 7:10 am
185441 SILVER, 398765, Other

Thank you much for your comment!

185441 SILVER said...
on Oct. 9 2009 at 7:09 am
185441 SILVER, 398765, Other

Thanks for your comment!

on Oct. 8 2009 at 11:58 pm
jkbbjkblbklkjb, Sutton, Other
You do honestly pose a point.

I fully intend to be a psychologist when I'm older, and I've realized that when people abuse substances, they tend to use them not to hurt those around them but simply because reality has become too (or seemingly too) harsh to face.

Anyway, very good article, quite thought provoking and well written.

Thumbssssssss up :)

braydens24 said...
on Oct. 5 2009 at 8:32 pm
that's a really interesting take on drugs. you've changed my perspective on the criticism of drugs - that's not saying that you've changed my way of thinking to the conclusion that they're bad, but changed it so that i view the way we advertise against drugs differently. obviously they're bad things, but now i understand some reasons why they may be used. i think it'd be a good idea to rather than simply state the fact that drugs are bad, give alternatives to drugs as well, like friends, exercising, hobbies, even learning. very interesting article.

on Oct. 5 2009 at 9:38 am
Wow ! this was really good i hope you keep writing if more people read this then maby drugs could be stoped

185441 SILVER said...
on Sep. 29 2009 at 8:55 pm
185441 SILVER, 398765, Other

thanks for your feedback! feedbacks like yours really encourage me to write. thanks again!

Diamond said...
on Sep. 29 2009 at 1:16 pm
this was a life changing piece i really enjoyed reading about your opinion on drugs

buggaboo said...
on Sep. 26 2009 at 4:15 pm
drugs screw up your life.