Something to think about before criticizing Drugs | Teen Ink

Something to think about before criticizing Drugs

The world these days, is tumultuous. By tumultuous, I mean that there are just as many things, or more, as there always have been that make us really stressed out, make us cry, and make us do whatever we do when in distress. I'd like to address my candid remark on teens, or people who do drugs and those who criticize them.

A few days ago, I read an article about a Japanese rock singer who passed away almost 20 years ago--whom many Japanese people remembers to this day. He died at the age of 26. The cause of his death is still controversial. But one thing for sure, is that he was a drug-user and his doing drugs definitely was one of the causes of his death.

Why do I tell this story out of the blue? Well, there were reasons why he had depended on drugs. He started out when he was still in high school. He just loved to sing. But he began to break down as his record label agency treated him badly--He didn't get the money he deserved and when he wanted to sign a contract with a different company, the agency forced him to pay a huge sum of money to keep him from signing with others. He broke down mentally --he just wanted to sing, he didn't want to become a puppet. Singing was the meaning of his life. At this time, he got his hands on drugs, and using drugs, he could stay away from the harsh reality he was confronted with.

I'm not saying that drug use is a good thing, nor am I claiming that it should be acceptable. We really need to pay attention to 'why' teens do drugs. There are many things that could possibly have made them start doing drugs. It might be that they were really depressed because they broke up with their boyfriend or girlfriend. Or that their parents couldn't care for them because of their financial situation. Or that they were little awkward in making friends or talking to people. Everything that makes them stay away from facing the reality.

It's not always too late. We can lift them up from the abyss of drugs before we label them as 'freaks' or 'whackos'. They might have had some bad experiences with some people like the singer I mentioned above. There is nobody that can help them besides us. Lead them out of using drugs.
Like those firefighters rescuing people out of ablaze buildings and houses. We can rescue them. You can.

on Sep. 27 2011 at 9:32 am
I feel that drugs should be used... Their FUNN'

singinginthegardn GOLD, Cowell, Massachusetts

"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say." ~Anaïs Nin

I really appreciate this!

SkylaRaeven BRONZE, B.C, Other

I really bugs me how when kids get caught doing this kid of stuff, right away many are punished. I've been grounded so many times, and i've tried to explain that grounding won't do anything. Like you said, there are reason behind everything, and punishing is almost just like the quick route to deal with it, but in the end, it's not doing anything. The way that i've learned, is by taking a good look around at the people who i once had by my side, that have gone down a bad road. Or looking through the papers or on the news and having a good reality check. This, I believe, is what's going to help get those people who have taken a wrong turn, get out from the gutter. If only everyone could understand that.

Very well written, and good point :)

SaMiLoVe97 SILVER, Okawville, Illinois

If it doesnt break your heart it isnt love, if it doesnt break your heart its not enough. Its when youre breaking down with your insides coming out.Thats when you learn what youre made of.-Switchfoot<3

Everyone has different ways to cope with things. You may go out on a run when you feel like the world is on your shoulders and no one understands and you need an escape. Some may draw or cook or eat or sing. Doing drugs is a way of coping. a sense of security. I totally understand what you mean. But no one really has a right to make comments or put out their two ents when they havent been through whatever theyr talking about. Youve got to go there and go through it. everthing leading up to it,during it, and after, to truly understand

igortmannnn said...
on May. 17 2011 at 8:59 am
true that sista!

heyyouuuuu said...
on May. 17 2011 at 8:55 am
heyy mannnnnnn......meee toooo :)

Curly_Sue said...
Curly_Sue, Sand Springs, Oklahoma
i completely agree with you. people always look at the substince without looking at the reason behind it. that being said, there are some people that get into them just to get into them....:(

on Apr. 19 2011 at 9:18 am
BabyGirlBrittany SILVER, Cincinnati, Ohio

"Life isnt about finding yourself, Its about creating yourself,"

I see where you coming from, The I agree with the author I don't think you are understand the article . She is sayin it't not okay to do drugs but we need to look to understand the reasons why people are doing it. They obviousley are going through some serious stuff in theres lives. That person on drugs could have lost a mom, a friend, have a physical disease or mental ilness, maybe they are abused you just don't know, So instead of criticizing them , Help them. Be a hero

JDHpix said...
JDHpix, Salina, Kansas
0 articles 1 photo 1 comment

"I can do all things through Him, who strengthens me."

uh drugs? find God and some friends before you go ruining your life and somebody elses.

mememelo said...
mememelo, Lamar, South Carolina

"

thank you . dat is so true. ive done drugs. and its not something im proud of but my mom really thought the drugs were my problem. i wasnt addicted just really mad. my problem was something else. drugs just helped me run away. which was stupid cuz when i wasnt high my problems were still there but i totally agree with you

on Dec. 30 2010 at 2:29 am
LovelyDuckling GOLD, Hamilton, Montana

A vision without action is a hallucination.

nice perspective

black-sapphire BRONZE, Bismarck, North Dakota

"I'm in a fleshy tomb, buried up above the ground.
It's no use, why should I hold on?"
-Goodbye (I'm Sorry) by Jamestown Story

finally someone understands..drugs are a controversial topic, and i hate it when people steriotype the kind of people that do that stuff..good job..

bobww said...
on Dec. 14 2010 at 6:57 am
very well written. i enjoyed reading about your opinion on such a crucial topic. very nice.

TakeMeAway BRONZE, Rural Hall, North Carolina

"you flew off with the wings of my heart and left me flightless" stelle atwater

agree 100%! just because your doing drugs doesnt mean your a rebel, maybe it lets you realese your feelings inside in a way you normally cant do

AnneOnnimous BRONZE, Peterborough Ontario, Other

"Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself."
— John Green

I think- and this is going to sound a little judgmental- that teens who do drugs just can't put things into perspective. We all go through tough things- granted, some of us more than others- but we have all heard of people who overcome that, because they know the consequences and can see past the painful present to a future full of potential.

7Ariel7 BRONZE said...
7Ariel7 BRONZE, Plymouth, Massachusetts

All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Gooooood Job.

185441 SILVER said...
185441 SILVER, 398765, Other

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Nietzsche

Katie7, thanks for your input. I hope this article did not come off as if I'm arguing that bad circumstances warrant drug use. By no means am I saying it's a good thing or a thing which can be justified, but like we both agreed, we need to pay attention to why they had to start doing it.

Katie7 BRONZE said...
Katie7 BRONZE, Whitney, Texas

Life is like a port-a-potty, you never know what you're going to find.
When life gives you lemons, put them in your sweet tea and thank god your a southern belle.

I agree with you that people do drugs for a reason, but whether you do drugs because you just want to, or family issues,you're not any different. The person that does drugs because of family issues isn't any better than the one that did them to just do them. They were both set up with the same consequences. Just because one had a reason doesn't make it okay to do drugs. Reason or no reason, you could lose friendships and family. All because of one dumb thing. 

Erudite GOLD said...
Erudite GOLD, Rawalpindi, Other

trust your heart
if the seas catch fire
(and live by love
though the stars walk backward)

good job..

i lovveeeed the last line, i think you should have named it: Rescue..

but anyways, good job!!

185441 SILVER said...
185441 SILVER, 398765, Other

Thanks. You have a good point. I do feel that the examples I used do in a way trivialize my argument; certainly it wouldve been better the way you suggested.