Equal Love | Teen Ink

Equal Love

April 19, 2017
By e.wafer BRONZE, Tirana, Other
e.wafer BRONZE, Tirana, Other
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Same-sex marriage is illegal in many countries and in some countries, it is punishable by death. In Asia same-sex marriage is illegal. Taiwan might be the first country in Asia to legally accept gay marriage. Since the early 2000’s, Taiwan has considered to legalize same-sex marriage, but the attempts have always been denied because of the many disagreements that people have. People don't agree with same-sex marriage because they mostly base their arguments in religion or because they think it is against human nature. But, what impact does gay marriage really have on our lives? Marriage is a commitment between two people. It is gay people’s right to have the freedom to marry just as straight people have that right.


A gay activist brought up the case of gay marriage in front of a panel of 12 judges at Taiwan’s top court (BBC). Winning this case would be a major step for LGBT people in Taiwan as it would allow them to live blatantly without being discriminated against, they’d be equal with everyone else. However, the case has also brought up many protests from conservative groups and calls for same-sex marriage and gay-rights activists to be struck down. 


But why should people be against this kind of marriage? Love is equal for everyone and it comes in many forms whether a woman loves a woman, a man loves a man or a man loves a woman.  People shouldn’t be discriminated against by others who believe that same-sex marriage is against religious teachings or all human nature. Such discrimination is only based on shallow prejudice. Gay people are born that way. We don’t need to change them or try to stop them from being happy. They have a life too.


  Legalizing same-sex marriage would make all the change for the LGBT community and no one should try to sway them, no one has the right to tell people who they can love and who they can't love.


Taiwan might become the first Asian country to legally accept gay marriage and not only it will affect gay people but also it will change the perception of the way other Asian countries see same-sex marriage. It can make all the difference and it can bring a peaceful society.


 A married homosexual couple won't do any harm to the society and they should be able to create their own families and adopt if they want to. Some would argue that this would damage the child's psychology but there is no reason for that to happen if he lives in a place without contradictions, where his parents don't seem odd.
Marriage is holy because it’s a connection between two people who are in love with each other, may they be straight or gay. I don't see anything wrong with this kind of marriage since it does not affect my life or bother me. So why shouldn't Taiwan legalize same-sex marriage? It is a big step towards equality and the improvement of where Taiwan stands.