Private Mosques? | Teen Ink

Private Mosques?

By zamora.carla BRONZE, Bronx, New York
zamora.carla BRONZE, Bronx, New York

In a recent Trump rally in Alabama Donald trump claimed that he’d like to have surveillance of certain mosques. He also claimed that he’d strongly consider shutting down mosques in the U.S.

The presidential candidate said that he wants surveillance of mosques as U.S, law enforcement to prevent terrorism.

Invading the Muslim communities place of worship with cameras does not only violate their right to practice their religion in peace, but will not decline or affect acts of terrorism in the U.S or any other country.

Sadly, Muslims are often depicted as terrorist due to past events such as 9/11. Although a recent study done by the FBI found that within the years 1980 through 2005 only six percent of terrorist attacks were done by Muslims.

Yes many of the popular terrorist attacks we’re done by Muslims like 9/11 and the Netanya market bombing. Although that doesn't mean that all Muslims are terrorists.

The Islamic religion is a religion of peace. In an article done by U.S Today it says that “Islam does not support terrorism under any circumstances. Terrorism goes against every principle in Islam. If a Muslim engages in terrorism, he is not following Islam. He may be wrongly using the name of Islam for political or financial gain."
The editorial “Big Brother is watching” discusses that after 9/11 attack president Bush authorized warrant less wiretaps on U.S citizens making or receiving international calls and e-mails. Us putting cameras in mosques is the same as having our phones and emails monitored because its something done privately. Kept between you and the other person but in Muslims’ case it’s kept between them and Allah.

The Muslim community has suffered many racial comments based on individuals part of their community decisions. Due to these individuals mistakes they’ve been labeled as terrorist and certain people believe it would be best to put cameras in mosques. Although i understand their concern muslims are not terrorist. Ninety four percent of terrorist attacks have been done by non-Muslims. Just like other religions are allowed to worship their deity without being watched Muslims deserve the same freedom. People from other religions have caused terrorist attacks and their religion isn't being watched, so why should it be any different from Muslims.

What inspired me to write this article was a video i saw of a man pubicly calling a Muslim woman and her two children terrorist. And i thought of how sad and disrespectful we can be towards people that have no control of others decision.