The Sexism of School Dress Code | Teen Ink

The Sexism of School Dress Code

By Kenya_A BRONZE, Springfield, Illinois
Kenya_A BRONZE, Springfield, Illinois

Are school dress codes sexist and targeting females more than males? The question of school dress codes is a controversial argument in today’s society. In my opinion, the answer to the question of dress codes in schools being sexist is yes. The enforced dress code in schools is a double standard that punishes girls, due to being a “distraction” for boys because they’re unable to have control over their hormones.

The idea that a visible bra strap or tight fitted jeans will keep boys from learning is just ridiculous and unbelievable. A school’s priority should be to create a learning environment for everyone, rather than praising boys and shaming girls, because of their clothing options. I believe that the dress code in schools should be fair and enforced upon everyone, rather than targeting one specific gender.

According to, Debate: Are School Dress Codes Sexist? by Kaitlin Menza, “The worst part is by calling a girl’s clothing “distracting,” you imply that she is responsible for any disruptions.” Girls shouldn't take the blame for boys actions because of what they wear. Enforcing these unreasonable dress codes upon girls is just shaming them and blocking them from expressing themselves. The next question on my mind is, where is the dress code for boys? When I look at the student handbook and go to the dress code section, I don't see any rules that apply to males.
  As I see teachers follow the protocol of disciplining kids for breaking the dress code, I witness boys being told to pull their pants up and then they'd be sent back to class. If it was another situation where the female was breaking dress code she would be sent to the office and asked to call her parents, so she can change her clothing.

Not only are dress codes targeting girls, but more specifically they’re targeting curvier girls. According to, Stop New York School’s Dress Code from Discriminating Against Girls by Caitlin Donnell, “the way it is enforced has an even greater disparate impact on girls, especially those with ‘more curvy’ body types.” At my school, younger and less developed girls, have more opportunities to wear what they want. I understand that it might not be as “appropriate” for a more developed girl to wear shorts or a spaghetti strap tank top, but it is unfair for curvier girls to be punished and told what they can and cannot wear because of the way they’re made. I believe that the dress code should be reasonable and enforced upon everyone, no matter their gender or body type.

Girls cannot control the actions of boys and they shouldn’t be considered the problem when it comes to boys being “distracted.” I also wonder when boys will start to take responsibility and disciplined for their actions. Another problem I witness have witnessed at school is boys not keeping their hands to themselves. Females are much more than a distraction and what people see on the outside. We should be treated with respect rather than being deemed the problem of distraction in classes.

Today in schools, dress codes are targeting females the worst and shaming them. Schools make it seems like girls are to blame for the disruptions from boys. Although I believe school dress codes are sexist, I also believe their needs to be one to prevent things happening within the schools. The dress code should be applied and forced upon everyone, rather than targeting one gender and one body type. Instead of always bashing and punishing girls because of what they wear, schools should be creating a learning environment where everyone is treated equally and feels comfortable in what they wear.

I believe that girls are targeted by the dress code in schools more than boys. I think that more developed girls, like me are more likely to be pointed out because of what they are wearing. The clothes that a girl wears should be something that she can express herself with, rather than it being something she is shamed and punished about. I hope that my essay will have people fighting for equal dress codes within schools.

liarubio said...
liarubio, Knox, Indiana
I so agree with this because my little sister got dress coded for shorts and she couldn't help that her thighs were just bigger and the teachers thought it was short.