Asians Aren't Okay | Teen Ink

Asians Aren't Okay

February 14, 2016
By Lake22 GOLD, San Leandro, California
Lake22 GOLD, San Leandro, California
15 articles 2 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"I would rather die of passion than of boredom."-Unknown


Back then America was overthrowing Great Britain for their tyranny over the people. Now America is attempting to overthrow injustice. 

 

With the recent issues of Black Lives Matter and Chicano movements it seems we are all on the same page fighting for the same things: Equality and Justice. I feel as true as that is, those two groups are a majority of the country, I would like to zoom in on another that is part of the majority, but unaddressed in the injustice: Asians. 

 

Asians are typically known under stereotypes of being Chinese and hardly knowing English and being super smart and hard working.. .However that isn't always the case. Like in all stereotypes there is a grain of truth, but that truth doesn't ALWAYS apply to all people, especially a certain group of people put under a category. As a result, this sets an expectation that gets this group overlooked.     

 

Let me take you all back to a time in the 1920s with the whole Chinese exclusion act. This mean the Chinese had a quota of people that can come in because of the fear of "yellow people" taking over when simply it was the immigration of all sorts of young people starting to populate over the people that already lived there.

 

This discrimination is not fair and should also be addressed. This isn't new, this still exists today. Maybe one day ALL of us will unite and fight it.


The author's comments:

I was inspired by my District Attorney Internship Program discussion to address this issue and hope some of you will see through the eyes of Asian Americans.