Stereotypes Affecting Me | Teen Ink

Stereotypes Affecting Me

By Hatoon BRONZE, Riyadh, Other
Hatoon BRONZE, Riyadh, Other

In my life I have encountered people that expect me to not be able to leave the house, ever and those people also believe that i live in a house made of mud, when in fact, that is absolutely incorrect. As a woman that lives in Saudi Arabia, people expect women to have little,  or even no rights, and because Saudi Arabia is in a desert, we would not have any materials for building houses.  I believe their lack of knowledge led them to making these conclusions and I was offended when they said that about Saudi Arabia, and its women. Stereotypes can affect a person greatly, because they tend to insult a person and their background. Sherman Alexie has experienced something similar to this, as he was stereotyped as a Native American. Sherman Alexie was expected to be stupid since he was of Native American decent. He decided that he should not let stereotypes shape the way that he should live his own life. I have been taught as a child to ignore the stereotypes and to live my own life as I please. All in all, stereotypes should not affect the way that a person lives their life, and a person should be able to make their own decisions in life mindfully, without being labeled. I hope that everyone in the world will eventually learn not to judge, and label people because of stereotypes.