Discrimination Among Us | Teen Ink

Discrimination Among Us

November 18, 2015
By Anabellas5 BRONZE, Guatemala, Other
Anabellas5 BRONZE, Guatemala, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Today, in many parts of the world, women are looked at as less worth than men, you see people treating someone like an animal because of his or her connection with a group that is generally associated with people of a certain sex. You see ignorant people treating foreign unfavorably because they are from a particular country or part of the world, because of their ethnicity or accent, because they appear to be of a certain country. “Oh, you are Mexican? You might as well marry an American to get your legal papers done, ha.” You think that at this point in time, we as a country would be completely against any type of discrimination. Yet, if someone was gay they are treated as if they were to have a disease in their brains or as if they were born crazy. If you were to be a woman in India, you’ll expect to get marry at 14 and no honey, you don’t get to decide. You’ll marry him, and if you don’t get pregnant at 15, then I might as well force you to sell your body.

 

This is how today’s mentality is towards little girls, towards people who love, towards people who have different ethnicity from yours. People have ideas on their minds like: “I’m better than you! I’m better than you because you are transgender, because you are fat, because you are black, I mean look at you? Can you even force your mind to think, or is it to heavy for you?” and this, this types of sayings, cause many people to auto destroy themselves and the worst thing of all is that ignorance is rewarded. Rewarded to people like us, who just walk away from this and think, “Peace can’t be done.” But of course, it can’t be done because you don’t act differently to make a change.
Discrimination links to prejudice and stereotypes. This is not a good thing, since many people are offended by being identified by something they are given, by people who give different human beings names depending on their cultures, races, or even physical structures. Just like the idea discrimination gives “superior” human beings the right of judging, so does stereotypes. If you fit inside the circle of “beautiful beings” or “perfect human beings” then you are more than welcome to “speak”. This kind of people fill superior in a way that they can make anyone feel lower, like a thunder passing through their bodies, than what they have felt before.


I remember one time that I was in Turkey, I was surrounded by two international friends and the rest of the class was Turkish. As everyone got to speak, I proceeded with my own opinion towards the topic. As soon as my Latin accent kept on filling the room, I hear a Turkish guy ask me, “Have you been to America?” I said yes. After the class finished, the guy kept on bothering me for a long period of time calling me “Mexican” and making racial jokes about Mexicans, even though he looked so much more stupid because he didn’t really know where I was from and he just kept un judging me for how I looked. One day, I laughed and made a really mean joke towards him, and he stopped. The reason I’m pointing this out, is because I want you to see how that “perfect being” got to realize what he was doing by a hard way, and how it changed his vision when standing in the affected zone rather than in the mean zone.


According to Charlotte Burns, Sexual, racial, gender violence, and other forms of discrimination and violence in a culture cannot be eliminated without changing the culture. If society isn’t willing to change, how do you expect to obtain peace, when no one is acting towards winning respect for each other. It all depends on one’s thought and how you are willing to act positively on it. Think about it, many of us expect to work together by convincing and getting others to fight towards what’s right, but if there is no spark in the attitude of helping, then there’s no change.


Each and every one of us every day, every night, in every way, has some sort of discrimination inside about something. Is it wrong? It is normal. It is how you chose to act on your thought that is wrong. In other words, no one can control your thoughts, but you must control your actions.  Discrimination comes from the unknown. Learn, be welcoming and respectful and you will help to fight discrimination, but don’t act towards wrong thoughts, cause acting towards it, might as well be Discrimination.


The author's comments:

I believe that today, in the world, many stand against discrimination and dont act upon this problem instead of just speaking about it. People are afraid of giving their opinion and this is a big problem. I was inspired to write about discrimination because i was drawn toward LGBT people, but then i thought that if i talked about LGBT people and their rights, then i might as well include everyone, as we are all human and we are all the same and should be treated equally.