The Semi Colon | Teen Ink

The Semi Colon

May 17, 2015
By -emma- GOLD, Miami, Florida
-emma- GOLD, Miami, Florida
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
I'm like a child who belongs to nobody
~Lana Del Rey~


I look back to when I was a little girl, and then I look at myself now and realize that so much has changed. Looking back I was so naïve and clueless. Everything was so simple and easy. Now, it’s all completely different. And the little girl I used to be grew up from a caterpillar to a butterfly. But no matter what colors and patterns the butterfly has, it still came from the same old caterpillar it once used to be.


I have a past, which are the colors and designs on my butterfly wing. It’s the kind of past that changes the way people look at me. The past that gets me judged. The past that I feel regretful and guilty of. And it’s only at my lowest levels that have been the root source of my past. It’s something that haunts me. And no matter how far I burry it, somehow it always comes back to haunt me.


It used to make me sad and cry, but somehow I have come to over look it. Because at the end of the day, it’s still going to be there. From the moment I wake up, to the moment I go to sleep. After being dragged for so long, you learn to accept it and move on. But be careful, just because I have learned to accept the past doesn’t mean that it still doesn’t haunts me. And just because I have accepted it, that doesn’t mean other people have.


I’m a very strong girl who has survived a lot of thing. But it was only my lowest points that have made me strong. It’s inevitable that you go mad at time to time and have dark secrets, but you learn to pick yourself up and move forward. But if the past has taught me anything, it would be that people can change, and second chances do exists. And even though hope can breed eternal misery, it can also do works of wonders. Because when your past haunts you, you only have hope to look forward to in the future. And sometimes you have to dig down deep, close your eyes, and take a leap of faith forward to change yourself.


You just have to remind yourself of the semi colon. Grammatically the semi colon separates to main ideas but keeps the sentence from ending. Metaphorically, the semi colon can keep your life going but it can separate the past from the future. No matter how lost you are, you are never too lost to be saved.


The author's comments:

Your story isn't over yet