Chick Lit Advocates | Teen Ink

Chick Lit Advocates

By CherieAria BRONZE, Taipei, Other
CherieAria BRONZE, Taipei, Other
4 articles 1 photo 1 comment

"Don't compromise yourself, you are all you've got"--Janice Joplin

“You read a lot? :) “ My friend asked in one of midnight conversations. It’s obvious that I’m book obsessed to some degree. How else could I be reading every time we texted late at night? Who else quotes ‘It pains an artist’s eyes to see a snowy dove dally with crows’ (Juliet by Anne Fortier) when talking about a pretty friend dating an ungrateful jerk that treats her like trash?

Then presumably the following question came. “What do you read?” Of course, I saw that coming. Still, when he asked I felt like hitting my head on my desk. No, that would’ve left a nasty bruise. But maybe I wanted to slam my head into my pillow. (Harmless, I know. Though I am a drama queen, I do not risk bruises on the forehead and a possible concussion for dramatic effects.)

“Well… Gone Girl, Tithe, Walk Two Moons…” I couldn’t believe I had just typed Walk Two Moons. Three books down the list and I was already naming what I’ve read five years ago. “The Phantom Tool Booth…” I continued pathetically, another book that I’ve read at the age of eleven. “The Angel of Death” I typed excitedly. Yes! I just read that a month ago. Then I came to a full stop. “That’s about it.”

Fortunately, this friend of mine does not read a lot. Still, he asked “That’s it?” That was completely understandable. I mean, what kind of person that reads all the time recommends five books and says “That’s it”?

“That’s about what you’d like.” I reluctantly confessed. I honestly could not think of another book that would impress him that I had read in the past three years. “There’s still Double Helix, I suppose.” I offered weakly.

“What else do you read then?” He had picked up my hint of how he wouldn’t like the rest of the books I read and he simply HAD to ask? I tried to avoid answering it by emphasizing that it’s nothing he wouldn’t find lame. He saw right through my excuses and before I could change the subject, he figured out the answer on his own.

“Haha. Girls’ stuff then?” (Of course he didn’t use ‘stuff’, he used a word that starts with‘s’ and is the synonym of ‘excrement’)

“You got me. Pretty Little Liars, Confessions of A Shopaholic, Everyone Worth Knowing…”

“You’re so lame :P” He joked.

This had been one of the more pleasant encounters when it comes to book preference discussions. He had already known me well so when he discovered my predilection for chick lits, he did not think any less of me. However, lots of people tend to jump to conclusions upon hearing a girl declare her affinity for chick lits. Without even bothering to further understand the depths of her personality and intelligence. I even had a guy friend gasp at the fact that I “actually care about international affairs? That’s so not you! Shouldn't you be setting your hair instead?” when he heard me discussing the news with someone else. Needless to say, I was outraged. In fact, it was all I could do not to slap him accross the face. (In case you’re wondering, instead of punching his nose like I should have, I had replied “Did you know that I want to study international relations?” Gracefully, I hope.)

The name ‘chick lit’ does somehow imply a gender quality but it definitely wasn’t meant to be morphed into a gender stereotype. It almost feels like a different form of gender discrimination. How the readers of chick lits have been portrayed as shallow shopaholics without a brain that are more concerned about their manicure than what their hands can do for them is a completely misleading belief. Andrea from Devil Wears Prada became an entrepreneur; Brooke in Last Night at Chanteau Marmont worked two jobs to support herself and her struggling artist husband; Meg from Baby Be Mine is the best PA one could ask for. And do I even need to say how many were inspired by the iconic Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City? There is no need to be embarrassed about being a chick lit lover. Chances are, it means that you’re an empowered and intelligent woman.

My moment of epiphany had hit me when I was reading Something Borrowed and a male classmate told me that he thought it was an awesome book. I was stunned but also delighted that chick lits can actually be relished by both genders. From then on, I never again avoided telling people that I enjoy chick lits. They are part of my persona after all. And if people couldn’t appreciate chick lits and chick lit lovers, they don’t deserve us. “A treasure such as this should not be left in the hands of Philistines.” By the way, I was quoting a chick lit. (I’ve Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella)

Being a chick lit advocate, I sometimes feel like I get double the doze of sexual discrimination. Trashing "girly girls" is like a whole new level of gender discrimination that seems to be widely accepted. This is my story of overcoming the 'humiliation' chick lits bring me and coming to be proud of my preference of book choices.