His name was Zander | Teen Ink

His name was Zander

February 19, 2015
By WzinterJaguar GOLD, OTTAWA, Other
WzinterJaguar GOLD, OTTAWA, Other
13 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We're all mad here"


A few days ago, a young trans man named Zander commited suicide. He posted his suicide note on his blog, saying he felt bullied by his family and was sexualy assaulted. His mother was not supportive of him, and wold accuse him of stealing mone fro the family. Now, the hashtag #HisNameWasZander is trending on tumblr and has over 7000 mentions on twitter. It is clear that he will not be forgotten. And he's not the only one with a tragic story. Young trans teen, Leelah Acorn recently commited suicide, saying "This life isn't worth living." According to her note, the only support she got was from her friends, and her parents took that away too. Eventualy she decided that she would never be happy with her life, and that she was better off dead. She ends her note with "I'm sorry if it's not a good enough reason for you. It's good enough for me." 

Two tragic stories of two teens, struggling to live the life that they belong in. How many more do there need to be before we accept them. How many until we look at the death toll and we wonder why? Think on that one, readers.