Title IX Women Equality | Teen Ink

Title IX Women Equality

February 16, 2015
By Nickels16 BRONZE, Lisbon,WI, Wisconsin
Nickels16 BRONZE, Lisbon,WI, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
God gives you 100 reasons to cry, but 1,000,000 reasons to smile.


Today in the U.S we have a big issue; that issue is “Title IX”.  This issue has been a problem for a long time and needs to be changed. Title IX discriminates gender equality in sports.   Most people agree that it is a good thing but some say it is horrible. I am about to change your mind about all the bad thoughts of this law.  Some say that female athletes need to play female sports and others say that female athletes should have the right to play sports that male athletes do. When we think over the issue we can realize that it is something that needs to be fixed.  How would you feel if you didn't get to play a sport you liked because of your gender? Women have had to fight for their right for years and they have been pushed down. Title IX is a necessary law because it gives women equality, it shows that women can play male sports,  and female athletes can win male sports too. 

 Females have been treated poorly and get no equality, but Title IX enforces that female athletes should get the respect they need and be able to play on a male sports team.  The Title IX law discourages gender discrimination in educational activities and programs in various educational institutes.  Male athletes are now allowed to play sports activities that were originally for females such as; Cheerleading, Figure Skating, Volleyball, and more , proving that this law is only intended,  but female athletes are not able to play sports for male athletes. According to the article on “Women's Sports Foundation” they say that “There is no real research that men athletes are better at sports than female athletes. Its the combination of lack opportunity and the lack of group support when females do play sports.   The lack of encouragement causes them to drop out of sports at a rate that is two times greater than boys.’’ the women's sports foundation has been undergoing Title IX for four years.                                                                                                                                                                              
 

In the “2012 Olympics’’ more female athletes were sent by the U.S than male athletes. The news article titled “Pros Of Title IX” ( Title IX History Fair ) says that “The female athletes won more gold medals in different sport categories for men, than male athletes did in female sports, thats why the 2012 Olympics are tagged or called as the “Title IX Olympics”.  The Title IX History Fair has been proving people wrong for years.

 
While people make stereotypes about female athletes and how good or bad they play in male sports, how about you read this.   “In the University Of Connecticut, the women's basketball team won 90 consecutive games going two straight seasons without a loss!  The woman's winning streak went from 2008 to 2010.  Their record toppled the men's basketball record of 88 consecutive  games set by the U.C.L.A from 1971 through 1974.  The women’s team won their second straight national championship” says Before and After Title IX: Women in Sports - Interactive ….  We can definitely say that women have proved to the world of sports that they are just as good.

Now that you have been shown all of the great reasons female athletes can play male sports, you can see that females are just as good at sports as men are.  Females need equality and they need to be treated the same as men are treated. Next time you watch womens sports or hear about them, think about all the facts that have been said about how hard women have worked. The Title IX law can go both ways and it is not only intended for female athletes, but can you see how it affects females more?  And they use this law whole lot more? And thats because they have not been treated with the right respect. I hope that you see now that female athletes have proved you wrong!