Discrimination: Homosexuals in Service | Teen Ink

Discrimination: Homosexuals in Service

By viviann1377 BRONZE, Merritt Island, Florida
viviann1377 BRONZE, Merritt Island, Florida

To be gay is to have a sexual desire for the same gender. It is a way of life for many. However, that life is being discriminated against. Homosexuals cannot marry their partner nor can they adopt children. Though they are being discriminated against in such ways, they still want to serve their country. However, homosexuals are banned from serving. They were banned as early as 1778. (“Gays in the Military”).

Homosexuals should be allowed to serve for their own country because the Declaration of Independence specifically states that “all men are created equal.” There has been a history of men declaring that they are gay to avoid getting drafted, and if gays were banned then there would be a shortage of those in service. Homosexuals should be allowed to serve in the military even after openly stating their sexuality.

Discrimination against gays arisen around two years after the Declaration of Independence was written in the summer of 1776. The Declaration of Independence was ratified on July 4, 1776 and in opening it states, “all men are created equal.” Those men have “unalienable Rights” that was “endowed” to them by God. The rights included those of

“Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness” (Kindig). However, in March 11, 1778, Lieutenant Gotthold Frederick Enslin was dismissed from the military under the order of General George Washington due to the fact that he was gay (Hagel). Enslin and many others were also released from service. Even though the Declaration specifically states that “all men are created equal”, it apparently does not apply to gay men, but instead, to straight white, land-owning, Christian men. The Declaration of Independence was not the only official document containing these words, but also the Virginia Declaration of Rights, and the Massachusetts Constitution.

On March 1, 1917, the Articles of War were enforced. In it, it categorized being homosexual as "assault with intent to commit sodomy.” Sodomy is to copulate with the same gender. Although homosexuals want to serve, those who do not want to use it as an excuse to be exempt (Hagel). People would go to the extreme to prevent implementing a duty. Around 10 years ago, it was reported that 150 men were suspected of either forging medical papers or bribing doctors to write the papers that ensured them that they were suffering from “sexual anxieties” and that they are “incompatible” with living in dormitories and using the bathroom with the same gender. (Herek).

Men even wore make-up and ladylike clothes to pass off as being gay. The reason behind this was to avert service. Homosexuals were serving secretly while straight men were not doing their duty. That was reality. However, by law, straight men should serve while homosexuals should not.

It has been estimated that there are currently 65,000 homosexuals in service, which is roughly 2.8%. There are 13,000 that are active. As of 2013, there are a total of 1.1 million homosexuals serving (O’Keefe). Although, 13,000 is not a big number, it would still have an impact. There would be shortage of soldiers when America has to go to war with countries that have a larger military.

Some may say that homosexuals should not be allowed to join services due to the disruption of a soldier’s mind and behavior. However, a human being is a human being, no matter their preferences. Every capable person should be given the choice on whether or not to serve. People think stereotypically of gays. Many have said that gays are too delicate and weak to be able to fight for their country. Yet, they have proven themselves.

Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben was accepted by George Washington upon arrival at Valley Forge due to his military-genius. Steuben taught the militia, which was mostly made up of farmers and as many may know, Washington won the battle of Valley Forge. Steuben’s methods were adopted and were named the Regulations for the Order and Discipline of the Troops of the United State. Also known as "The Blue Book” in present time. It was only after that people found that Steuben was gay (Ferroni).

As of 2013 the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy was repealed by Barack Obama (DADT). This policy was implemented by Bill Clinton and it stated that one shall not ask or talk about their sexuality. Homosexuals can now serve in the military even after openly stating their sexual preferences.

The Declaration of Independence allows it, it would prevent false medical certificates, and there would be a shortage of those in service. Homosexuals should be allowed to serve openly. The Declaration states that men have rights which include “Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.” People being homosexual is their way of life, their liberty, and their pursuit of happiness.