I Am Not Toxic | Teen Ink

I Am Not Toxic

October 24, 2014
By Imlyssa495 BRONZE, Mayslick, Kentucky
Imlyssa495 BRONZE, Mayslick, Kentucky
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

We're told from a young age that we should avoid bad people. We should avoid toxic people, we should always be happy, and that it's our job to make other people feel better. We should always be positive, and we should always look on the bright side.


     But what about me?
     People like me have been told all outer lives that there is something wrong with us, that because we're negative, we're depressed, and that we're "toxic." We are people to be avoided, we are people who only cause problems: we are wrong. I'm told every day that I should be more positive, but you know what? I don't want to be, It's my way of thinking, and because it's not yours, it's wrong.


     People are so often told to avoid toxic people, but no one is ever concerned with the "toxic" one. They don't matter, you should just avoid them and ignore them; if you don't do that, you should try to "fix" them. It's infuriating.


     When people like me go through a negative time, maybe even just a year or a few months, we are automatically branded as toxic, and called toxic the rest of our lives. We are never given a chance to change, we are toxic and must be avoided. I am told every day that there is something wrong with me, and that I must change. People with no business commenting on my life call me "immoral" and "heartless." Just because I don't care about you doesn't mean I don't care about anything.


     I am a stoic, I am not toxic, I am not depressed, I am not immoral, I am not heartless. I just have a different way of looking at things, and it's not yours, it's mine, so you have no business to comment on it. I'm not toxic, you are.