Love: a Right or a Crime? | Teen Ink

Love: a Right or a Crime?

By emschmitts7 BRONZE, Rochester Hills, Michigan
emschmitts7 BRONZE, Rochester Hills, Michigan

"I may not believe in myself, but i believe in what I'm doing" - Jimmy Page

In 2009, a woman married a roller coaster. In 2001, a man married a picture of himself. They both had large weddings, including all of the cultural traditions and all of their friends and family. In 2013, a baker refused to make a cake for a same sex couple, because it ‘offended his religion’. But they would bake a cake for a roller coaster?  In this country, there are many things we aren’t allowed to do.  It’s a crime to take someone’s life. It’s a crime to steal from a neighbor. In some places, it’s a crime to marry your own gender. Does marrying someone of the same gender as you really belong in this list? Why is love illegal?

This isn’t the first time humans have hated each other for what makes them different. We may be sharing drinking fountains, but we won’t share the right to marry the one you love? Why? A common fault in the legalization of gay marriage is that The Bible says it’s wrong.  In fact, a recent poll stated that “…Anyone who professes to love God must be opposed to it”.  Do you yourself measure how much God loves an individual? Love is not a sin. Do you know what is a sin? Bowl cuts. Yes, bowl shaped haircuts, as it says in Leviticus 19:27. Why don’t we have rallies for the banning of bowl cuts? “God hates bowl cuts” written across signs and banners? It’s an easy question to answer. People aren’t afraid of bowl cuts. While having a bowl cut is brave, it does not even compete with the bravery to love, and to shout from the rooftops that you are different and you are loved. If you want to talk about what is “natural”, love is. Love is the best gift to us, and we’re all worthy of it. Don’t create a law that bands love. There is nothing God loves more than love!  Why are you preaching that he hates it? All in all, if you’re hating for your religion, are you actually the one at fault?

Whether you’re opposed or for gay marriage, you must ask yourself this question:  Does a man marrying another man really, truly hurt you? Does the pen scratching their names on a legal document really make you fall out of your chair? Why shouldn’t our country, the home of dreamers and go-getters and out casts, allow love to be legal between all humans? I was told it was America: Home of the free, not America: Home of the straight? This country was created for the people who needed a place to belong. We the People. We all people. To outlaw marriage is to outlaw the pursuit of happiness. In my opinion, I feel people are just angry. People are sick and tired of not knowing the answers to life’s questions, so they take it out on the most convenient scapegoat: homosexual people. Unless we, as Americans, take the leap of faith, and let go of rumors and spite and replace it with love and knowledge, the world will never follow! Let’s make heaven a place on earth, regardless of color, religion, or amount of change in your pocket. Let’s make this world a place for everyone to love freely.

So as I stand before you now, I’m daring you to be the gold fish in the school of grey ones. I’m daring you to instead of hating, try loving. Try accepting. Measure people by the love and joy they bring to the world, instead of the blind hate spit at them.  Leave a legacy as someone who wouldn’t be tormented by the guilt of stealing love. Love is love man! We’re all trying to un-tie the anchors pulling us into the water, next time you see someone drowning, don’t be afraid to cut that chain. I believe in you, I believe in us. As a great man John Lennon would say, “You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. I hope someday you will join us, and the world will live as one” – John Lennon, Imagine.

I hope my short 3 minute speech will convince someone to let go of hatred and spite, and open up their heart to a world of love