Equality: A Good or Bad Thing? | Teen Ink

Equality: A Good or Bad Thing?

By Jackies63 SILVER, Sandy Hook, Connecticut
Jackies63 SILVER, Sandy Hook, Connecticut

"Start where you are. Use what you can. Do what you can"
-Arthur Ashe

We are all created equal, right? The Constitution says so, Martin Luther King says we are, and most politicians agree. If we are all equal why do we have so many problems?

I can tell you why, we aren’t created equal. Some people are “smarter”, “prettier”, “faster”, “athletic”, “creative”, and the list goes on. We weren’t created equal because the differences between us all, make us inferior and superior in certain instances.

If we were all equal, we would look the same, be good at the same things, and be bad at the same thing. It is our unequalness that makes the world work. Take a classroom for example, there’s the girl who always has her hand raised, but isn’t always right. There is that boy in the back of the room, always brooding, but he knows the right answer. There is the group of popular people, all attractive, some nice, some not. The whole room has their strengths and weaknesses.

I myself have weaknesses and strengths (and opportunities) that set me apart from all others. My life so far has been laden with opportunities, my mom is a successful accountant, I go to a great school, I’m healthy, and my family always has money. That’s not equal to the rest of the world. Especially health and money, both are things I am so grateful to have enough of. The money isn’t that important, but the abundance makes my life easier.

If we were all created equal were would inspiration, competition, and arguments come from?

This article wasn't meant to upset anyone, if it does please comment, so I can make it better for next time.

BLTspirit said...
on Apr. 16 2015 at 12:14 am
For someone who claims to know something about equality you sure don't care about it. You basically told someone that they couldn't talk about a subject they had minimal knowledge on, I'm pretty sure the first amendment didn't say you have the right to free speech only if you are educated on the topic at hand. What if someone says you can't comment because you can't spell "fundamentally" correctly? Yeah, it doesn't work that way. I personally think the writing has some good points in more of a philosophical sense rather than governmental.

on Aug. 17 2014 at 4:30 am
JesusandHisLawyers SILVER, Austin, Texas

"who the fuck has a favorite personal quote what does that even mean" - me, just now.

People who have fundemental misunderstandings of just about everything pertaining to the government and the way it works should not be allowed to speak on the subject. When somebody wants equality they mean they want the same rights granted to average citizens. Gay people are deprived the right of marrige, women are deprived the right of equal pay and reproductive rights, black people are deprived the right of not getting murdered by the people who are supposed to protect them. These people want EQUALITY under the law. In other words: they want the law to treat them as equal to straight white men, as opposed to second class citizens.