Equality: A Good or Bad Thing? | Teen Ink

Equality: A Good or Bad Thing?

July 3, 2014
By Jackies63 SILVER, Sandy Hook, Connecticut
Jackies63 SILVER, Sandy Hook, Connecticut
6 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Start where you are. Use what you can. Do what you can"
-Arthur Ashe


We are all created equal, right? The Constitution says so, Martin Luther King says we are, and most politicians agree. If we are all equal why do we have so many problems?

I can tell you why, we aren’t created equal. Some people are “smarter”, “prettier”, “faster”, “athletic”, “creative”, and the list goes on. We weren’t created equal because the differences between us all, make us inferior and superior in certain instances.

If we were all equal, we would look the same, be good at the same things, and be bad at the same thing. It is our unequalness that makes the world work. Take a classroom for example, there’s the girl who always has her hand raised, but isn’t always right. There is that boy in the back of the room, always brooding, but he knows the right answer. There is the group of popular people, all attractive, some nice, some not. The whole room has their strengths and weaknesses.

I myself have weaknesses and strengths (and opportunities) that set me apart from all others. My life so far has been laden with opportunities, my mom is a successful accountant, I go to a great school, I’m healthy, and my family always has money. That’s not equal to the rest of the world. Especially health and money, both are things I am so grateful to have enough of. The money isn’t that important, but the abundance makes my life easier.

If we were all created equal were would inspiration, competition, and arguments come from?


The author's comments:
This article wasn't meant to upset anyone, if it does please comment, so I can make it better for next time.