ADHD-Often Misjudged | Teen Ink

ADHD-Often Misjudged

May 1, 2014
By arichman40 PLATINUM, Basalt, Colorado
arichman40 PLATINUM, Basalt, Colorado
44 articles 0 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Never judge a book by its cover"


“If you're a nobody, just imagine a lot of celebrities are in love with you. Narcissism is the best cure for attention deficit disorder.”
Bauvard, Some Inspiration for the Overenthusiastic

Having a mental disability like ADHD is not an easy thing. Everyday, challenges are faced and obstacles are encountered. But having a disability like ADHD is not a bad thing. Having a disability like ADHD can often mislead people, but once you get to know them, they find that their quirks are what truly make them special.

Though not diagnosed with ADHD, many friends of mine happen to have ADHD. I had never really been around someone who had ADHD, and it wasn’t until the summer of 2010 that I really got to experience being around people with this condition. It was a summer camp in Vermont that I was lucky enough to attend. There, I met many people and made a few friends, and one very special guy who I am now dating. Andrew Turner, who has ADHD is often treated differently just because he thinks and acts a bit differently. But as I have learned over the last four years, it takes more than five seconds to get to know and understand him, as well as all people with ADHD.

People with ADHD like Andrew often think and act a bit differently and that can cause people to misjudge them. That always seems wrong. People can be so cruel and make such cruel comments, like, “ADHD isn’t a disability because it’s not physical” or “He is so rude. He must get along better with males than females.” These come from people who haven’t talked to Andrew for the last four years. If they had talked to him, they’d know. His quirks are the reason he is so unique.

Yes, he may talk about subjects that most people aren’t normally interested in. But that has been a benefit to me. He is very smart, and whenever I talk to him, I learn something new. His interests broaden my horizons which comes in handy. He also blurts out inappropriate comments, which people are often offended by. It takes time to get used to the way people with ADHD think and talk. they often say things before thinking it all the way through so it may come out unexpectedly. But, spend enough time with him, and it will feel like a normal conversation.

People often jump to conclusion when they meet someone like Andrew. It’s natural to be taken aback by words and actions, but it isn’t okay to be judgemental. Those who are judgemental may not realize it, but even someone with ADHD has feelings too. Andrew isn’t the most emotional person, but he does have feelings. He knows what it is like to be discriminated against and it has made being sociable harder for him. Having a disability isn’t easy. People seem to go to lengths when they don’t understand someone but that is no excuse to treat someone with disrespect. Give them a chance, and you will find that they will surprise you. All they want is to be treated with the respect that they deserve. Try to put yourself in their shoes and you will truly understand what it feels like.