Racism Is No Joke | Teen Ink

Racism Is No Joke

April 16, 2014
By BrandiBeanblossom BRONZE, Junction City, Kansas
BrandiBeanblossom BRONZE, Junction City, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Racism Is No Joke

It was a Wednesday morning, Stephanie woke up and thought today is going to be a good day. Stephanie got out of bed and started getting ready for the day. She put on her black skinny jeans, and a hot pink shirt and her toms on. Stephanie finished getting ready she brushed her long beautiful blonde hair, and she put her contacts in her pretty blue eyes, then left out the door to go with Vanessa to school. Her best friend Vanessa had black curly hair and brown eyes. She always wore sweaters no matter what the temperature was. She was the total opposite of Stephanie.

They arrived at school and their day was going great just like Stephanie thought. Two hours later it was time for lunch. Stephanie went to the lunchroom and got her food and went to sit down with her best friend Vanessa. Next thing you know, the meanest kids come walking into the lunchroom. Jasmine is walking in with all of her friends like she always did. They were all laughing at everybody that crossed their path. Jasmine passes by Stephanie and Vanessa’s table and they know their day is going to get ruined. They were the meanest people in the entire school. Jasmine starts talking to her friends about how Stephanie doesn’t belong at their school because she is white and not Mexican. Stephanie felt so embarrassed. She tells Vanessa in front of everybody that they should not be friends with Stephanie. Jasmine said, “Stephanie was an outcast because she was white.”

Stephanie ran to the bathroom crying because she never had been in a situation like that before and she never wanted to be in a type of situation like that. Jasmine’s friends tell her to stop being mean because she didn’t deserve to be treated like that. She walks into the bathroom and sees Stephanie sitting on the bathroom floor crying.

All of Jasmine’s friends walk in to check and make sure Stephanie and Vanessa are doing ok from the accident that had just occurred. Jasmine’s friends apologized for what Jasmine said to her. They did not agree with what was said. Stephanie and Vanessa left to go back to their table to get their stuff. When they were walking back they heard everybody talking about it, it was spreading like wildfire. Stephanie felt embarrassed and didn’t want everybody to know what had just happened between her and Jasmine. The bell finally rang, it was saying that class was going to start. Everybody went to their classrooms really fast, faster than an Olympic runner.

The next day Vanessa and Stephanie knew their days were not going to be good since what happened the day before. When they got into school everybody was still talking about what happened but people were adding way more to the story like usual. They hated how everywhere they went people kept talking about it. Stephanie hated that it ever happened. She didn’t understand why people felt the need to judge someone by their color. Couple of hours passed and it was lunch time. Vanessa and Stephanie ate lunch like nothing happened. When they looked where Jasmine usually ate at lunch none of her friends were sitting with her. She was alone just eating, none of her friends wanted to sit with her because she was racist.

Many days passed and Jasmine kept eating by herself. Vanessa and Stephanie just ignored her because she was not worth their time or attention. Stephanie didn’t let Jasmine affect her day to day life. She just didn’t listen because she knew that some people didn’t care about her race like Vanessa.


The author's comments:
I was inspired by when I was younger I got made fun of because I was the only white girl in my school.