LGBTQ Hate Crimes | Teen Ink

LGBTQ Hate Crimes

By Erin_Mari BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
Erin_Mari BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

"Live Everyday like it's no Tomorrow"

Research has shown that people who identify their sexuality as other than heterosexual have been shunned, ridiculed and even have been attacked. In devastating times, these attacks have been fatal. According to the Matthew Shepard Foundation, the FBI has released facts stating that 1,318 crimes motivated by the victim’s sexuality were reported by local law enforcement in the past year.
Research has also shown the negative impact of calling members of the LGBTQ community degrading and humiliating names such as “faggot” or “dyke.” While every member of the LGBTQ community is currently at-risk of being treated unfairly due to their sexual orientation, this issue is particularly dangerous for teenage members of the LGBTQ community.
One example of a LGBTQ hate crime victim is Matthew Shepard. Matthew was a 21 year old college student who was tortured and killed on October 12th, 1998 in Wyoming. The foundation which is listed above was founded in his name and legacy, helps to stop hate crimes in America. His killers, Aaron McKinney and Russell Henderson were arrested after the murder, they are now doing time in prison.
The hatred is so much to bear on the LGBTQ community and is taking a massive toll on them, especially LGBTQ teens. Suicide among LGBT youth is the third leading cause of death among 15 to 24 year olds with different sexual feelings. Many people have been ridiculed so much that the pain has made a big impact on them. Sadly, this is where the road leads up to if they have nothing else to do.
So is it right to commit such senseless violence? No. Everyone has a right to love anyone who is the same or different sexually. I myself, support the LGBTQ community 100%. Personally I have a friend who is gay and he didn’t tell me until last year. I warned him that there are people out there who don’t want gays to be apart in this wicked society and would do anything to stop gay marriage. He told me to not to worry, he is not going to let anyone determine his sexual preference and love.

In conclusion, what would you do if someone was downgrading a homosexual? Would you watch and antagonize the person, OR will you stand you for their rights? I encourage you to stand up for them, make them feel welcomed and most of all, support them twenty-four hours a day and seven days a week, no matter what. Risk your life saving one. I’m doing it, I hope you will too.

In America LGBTQ youth are being bullied to the point that they want to kill themselves..... THIS NEEDS TO STOP