Why are we treated so differently? | Teen Ink

Why are we treated so differently?

By BatGirl679 SILVER, Rutherfordton, North Carolina
BatGirl679 SILVER, Rutherfordton, North Carolina

“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ― Marilyn Monroe

In the world that we live in today, we tend to care too much about what people think of us. It’s all about what you look like, what clothes you wear, how your voice sounds. We never stop to think about it. People just see the outside, what they don't see is that, that is just a cover. Peel back the cover and you will find a person. A human being just like everyone else, yet different in their own way. I have experienced a lot of this topic, being treated differently just because you are not what society sees as normal.

There are many times in my life that people have called me ‘freak of nature’. I don't see myself that way. It started last year. In my eighth grade year, I saw that there was more to life than what I was taught. I changed my religion and I am happier now. But, because I was not Christian, everybody saw me as a freak. They say I need help, that I am wrong for thinking the way I wanna think. What they don't see is that I don't need help; I am perfectly fine. When in social situations that calls for partner or teamwork, I was always the last one to be chosen. Nobody wants to sit near the Atheist/Goth girl.

Always being left out of things, I have learned not to even notice it anymore. If only they could see beyond the fact that I am an atheist, maybe society could accept me for me. I find that this isn’t just something I am experiencing, this happens all around the world. It shouldn’t be that way, but it is. People everyday are judged weather we like it or not. The other day on the bus, I heard of another case that this was happening. Have you ever heard of Justin Bieber? Well, people always assume that he is gay just because he can sing high tenor. A couple of friends of mine who rides the bus were getting into a debate about Justin. I decided to cut in. I say to that one friend, “ So you are saying he is gay just because he has a high voice?” This happens way too often. Just because people assume Justin is gay that don't like him, But its just with Justin. Adam Lambert is gay, yet people love his music. I don't see a difference.

People always seem to treat me different because of the way I look and the way I act. When you look at me what do you see? Well, for starters you see I dark gothic girl who looks scary, right? Well that may be what you see but, do you really know who I am? Whenever I am out in public, it seems i'm treated differently than others. For example, when I go to the movies I am always seen as different. People at the counters where you buy your tickets and popcorn, its like are scared to serve me. Now when a girl dressed in all pink walk in, they serve her right away. I honestly don't think that, that is fair.

Being treated differently than others makes us feel left out. On top of that, it makes us feel worthless. My personal experience with this lets me know what it feels like. Everyone has experienced this whether you realize it or not. So this is the question I have for you. Why? Why do humans such as us discriminate others by the way they look? This age old question may never be answered, but we can try to fix it. Its not right to treat people in this manner. I personally would like to put a stop to this. It makes me feel like i'm not important even though I know I am not. If it makes others feel this way then why do it?

Why do we judge each other on things that don't even matter. Such as religion in my case.

Haha said...
I know what you mean everyday I get up confidence levels high ready to start the day. But then it all goes downhill. My friends get sooo much attention while people just ignore me. I donto know if it's because I'm the only girl who wears her hair curly, I'm not as developed or because I don't wear makeup to "enhance " my natural beauty. But whatever it is I'm tired of it and some days are so bad I go home and just break down thinking why? Why am I treated so differently? Why am I so left out? Why?

sarah98 BRONZE said...
sarah98 BRONZE, Holyoke, Massachusetts

It is better to write for yourself and have no audience than write for your audience and have no self.

i noticed a few typos but hey, i have a bunch too. this is a great essay and is really touching.