Bullying, A Perspective

With flustered cheeks and tired eyes, Andrew looked up at the large figure in front of him, looming closer. I sensed a feeling of defeat engulfing him in its darkness. I tried to fight back the two strong eleventh-graders’ arms, I noticed their grips tightening. After a couple of minutes, they left me, untouched, and Andrew with a deep cut across his face. I ran to him. He buckled his knees and buried his head deep under his arms.

And that was the last I saw of the Andrew I knew.
He changed, drastically, in the next few weeks. He wore a whole new personality, took up smoking habits and to everyone’s horror, got mixed up with gang activity. Our homeroom teacher called me one day and asked me why my best friend was failing all his subjects. I didn’t know, he wasn’t my Andrew, I told her.

It made me recognize a few things in life, consequences certain actions can lead to, being one. Bullying can really change lives, negatively, no doubt. While it gave Andrew a new perspective, a louder one at that, it also destroyed him. After two years, he now works part time at a car workshop while here I am, preparing for my SATs.

I believe the one thing that seems to be the problem here is difference. Difference in morals, personalities, and sadly, race, culture and ethnicity too. I see only one way out and though I cannot guarantee it will lead to a 100 percent bullying free environment, I can promise it will help. Growing up, I really looked at people. Not their appearances, rather how some spoke carefully, as if in fear of letting too much out and how others just blurted things out. I noticed how we were all different yet, how despite the discrepancies, we made friends. And yes, this is the one way I see out. Friendship.

The more we are open to friendship, the more amiable we become, the more open to change, the more open to generosity, and the more open to smiling. And this can be done in several numbers of ways. First of all, we absolutely NEED grown up attention. The more we, teenagers, shut ourselves out, the louder our cries for help are. We need to be showed what to do, not told, no, rather slightly pushed towards the light. We should be guided into a new era that involves more mixing with the outside world. I suggest this be done during the early childhood, when we are still young and things tend to really affect us. I suggest we are taught to be freer with our choices, actually I suggest we are taught to make no choices. I suggest we befriend everyone and if words don’t work, I suggest we be taken to different institutes. The more we are engaged in different activities, the higher the chances are we will meet different people. Just a slight push towards the light, that’s all.