Necessity of Pain

My ex-history teacher asked our class if we could – if needed – tell the younger kids that all the drama that goes on (especially between girls) is not worth it. All of us said yes, it wasn't at all worth it; a part of me wonders, though, if it was, in some way, worth it. The drama itself was absolutely terrible. I am sure my elementary and junior high years would have been much more enjoyable without the drama and bullying; however, the personal growth that comes of bullying may be irreplaceable.

Would I still be the person I am today had I not gone through that? Simple biology would say I would be the same person, but biochemistry would show results differently. My mind wouldn't have developed the same way. I would react differently to situations because all those instances of feeling down because of other people would be gone. I may not be as sympathetic or caring towards people – or would I be more so because, without bullying, care might be all I know?

People definitely wouldn't be as well rounded, and stress might be unmanageable later in life. So is bullying really worth it? I believe it is completely necessary in life in order to develop. I do not think it should ever go to the point it goes to today. However, stress and the feeling of exclusion seems to help people later in life. So, yes, Mr. S., although bullying is a pain, it is completely worth it in the end.

RunningNDfree said...
Dear people rating this 1s and 2s.  Do you actually hate my writing or just what I wrote?  Meaning, if you hate my style and think it needs work, continue to give me bad ratings because that actually helps.  If you hate my opinion, well, I'm not changing it.  Feel free to give me your opinion on why mine is 'wrong,' but don't hate just because you don't agree with something :)

CarrieAnn13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Interesting article, Running. I don't really agree that bullying is necessary for development, though. I think better coping skills being taught at a younger age as well as exposure to different kinds of adversity would be better, but that's beside the point. You have an excellent, well-developed article here. Your spelling and grammar are good and I like how you ended your article. Great job and keep writing!

satellite23This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Unique Point of View!!! Nice!

RedDaisy said...
I understand your point of view, but I believe that, instead of a child having to learn from being bullied (which in your and my case lead to learning, most other cases lead to suicide), he can learn from firm teachings from his parents. But I guess that, if parents don't have the knowledge, they can't teach. It's an odd thing, really. In conclusion, I agree that pain helps to learn, yet I believe that, in my opinion, bullying should not be tolerated.

RunningFree replied...
Dec. 11, 2011 at 8:02 am :

I understand what you're getting at, but most children do learn better from experience than lectures from parents.  Think about really young children, when their parents say not to touch the hot pan, what do they usually do?  Touch it, and by doing so, learning not to touch it.

For me, my parents could tell me all they wanted of how I was better than the bully and not to let it get to me, but it my own realization to not let them bother me.

I do agree that parent teach... (more »)