Slut or Player? | Teen Ink

Slut or Player?

By Queenjbean BRONZE, Kansas City, Missouri
Queenjbean BRONZE, Kansas City, Missouri

In the world of teenagers today, sex is becoming ever more popular and common. Long gone are the days when chastity was kept 'till marriage, well, for most young people today. During the times in which virginity was sacred, however, many discriminations wer made against women. Women weren't allowed to do many of the things they are allowed today. They weren't men's equals.
Now, we look at today's world and we think 'look how far we've come.'
But, really, how far have we come? Yes, women are allowed to vote and have the same rights as men, but women are still thought of as weak, and in some cases, inferior. Many may think this is totally inaccurate, but when you look around you, what do you see? Do you see women being praised for being strong or for being smart and pretty? Why are women held up to different standards than men? A 'good' man is often defined as someone who can protect a woman, someone strong and cunning. A 'good' woman would be defined as someone with good taste, pretty, and intelligent.
Why are 'good' people defined differently by gender. Should it not be the same for both men and women? These different views are even more exaggerated in high school, where feminine and masculine differences are at their highest. In today's modern world, we can see the difference in expectations in the one thing that most teenagers are exposed to, rich or poor, intelligent or not, sex. When a teen boy sleeps with many different girls, he's called a player. He is revered by all the other boys. However, when a teen girl sleeps with many different boys, she is called a slut, a whore. She is hated by her fellow women. Why is this? Why is there this great difference in standards for men and women? Why are men allowed to get away with so much, and are even praised for it? How can we call ourselves not sexist, when it is so clearly not true? It is time to stand up to these stereotypes. In a world that is so quickly changing, we need to rid ourselves of this double standard. We need to eradicate this fault in our society, not only for us, but for all the future generations. We deserve better.

Jenny C. said...
i totally agree with this. ive thought about this too. why is it that boys get away with so much? is it because "boys will be boys"? or "they can't help themself"? its pathetic