On loves side | Teen Ink

On loves side

April 5, 2010
By laptoploser1220 GOLD, Deltona, Florida
laptoploser1220 GOLD, Deltona, Florida
12 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.”- Albert Einstein


While walking in the park on a sunny day you see a couple holding hands while sitting on a rotting bench underneath a tree full of falling leaves. Now imagine that couple being of the same sex. Does that make the scene even less beautiful? It shouldn’t. Love is what makes that scene into one that captures your heart. Now why is it that when society thinks of gays they automatically cringe in disgust? Or just think it’s morally wrong to be in love with someone of the same gender? Love is love isn’t it?
Gender can’t really mean that much can it? Gender, which can so easily be changed by surgery, sets the rules for love. That sounds unnatural. Love is something that you can feel for anybody. Love being set just by gender sounds like an ignorant attempt at stereotyping romance all together.

That funny thing is, I know plenty of gay guys and lesbians and they’re happy just the way they are. Every time they look at each other or grab one another’s hands I can see the love burning in their eyes. I hardly see that with straight couples now as is. Heck, I even see straight couples who don’t even like each other. Why is it okay for a man and woman who hate each other to be together but not two people of the same gender who love each other dearly?

I think most of the hatred towards gay guys comes from a man’s insecurities. If a man doesn’t feel secure in his manhood he feels uncomfortable talking or even thinking about two men being together, which they then direct towards happy content gay couples.

If you ask some of the men in my life they’ll say that marriage between two men or two women shouldn’t be allowed. They say it’s immoral and against religion. Marriage isn’t a something sacred. In some cases it’s just documents in an office and a pair rings. If you don’t want men to get married together because of religious reasons fine, but why can’t they at least get a piece of paper certified to say that they love each and will be together for the years to come?

Adopting also raises an issue. There are straight couples out there who can’t have children because of biological reasons, same for gay men. They can’t scientifically create a child, but who’s to say they aren’t allowed to adopt a child whom no one wanted? Give that child a home and two people that love them unconditionally. Just because it’s two men doesn’t make it bad. That child will probably go amazing places thanks to all the love and care it’s given by those men.

Next time you see a gay couple walking down the street, just think of some of the stereotyping and gruesome looks they get. Then look at their faces and see how their glowing with love and happiness. That look right there shows you how strong their love is to overcome such obstacles. Love is love, no matter what the gender. If you ask me, I’m on loves side.


The author's comments:
I am a straight girl, but I have much love for all gay men and women. It's just something I feel very strongly about.