What I Learned from Dr. Seuss This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Or so said Dr. Seuss. Even if you do not see Dr. Seuss as being a great genius or particularly wise man, you can understand the way he encouraged a young generation to be themselves. It is very simple to see how he encouraged self-expression in many of his works. For example, who can forget his famous star-bellied Sneetches? Or poor Daisy-Head Mayzie? Although seemingly meaningless, Dr. Seuss portrayed important lessons of tolerance and equality in his books, and most agree that everyone should try to be who he or she is, despite what others may think or believe.

If you like black, wear black! If you want to be a movie star, go for it! If you want to play basketball, try out for that team! If you are African American, you can express your culture! You can be whoever you want to be! If you are gay, you can—oh, wait…never mind. If you are gay, you should not let anyone know.

How, then, can America be a truly tolerant society if gays, lesbians, and bisexuals are not being treated equally? Not only are these people treated poorly by some and not given basic human rights, such as marriage, but they are subjected to a “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy in the military (although President Obama has expressed his desire to end the policy). The LGBT are treated as if they have some sort of disease.

Certainly, there are religious arguments, but was America not founded on the belief that everyone should be allowed to have happiness? Was it not founded upon the basis that everyone would be equal? So is it not a double standard that the LGBT minorities are not treated as well as the straights?

On the subject of religion, however, there are many more pressing issues that ought to be dealt with than protesting sexual orientation. The truth is that there have been gays, lesbians, and bisexuals since the beginning of human civilization. This is seen in mythology and the Bible. This supposed problem is not going to be stopped, and there are so many other concerns. There are starving children in America. There is human trafficking all over the world. There are people dying as a result of genocide everyday, and as one of the superpowers of the world, America and her people are focusing on ridding our country of the plague of being gay, as if it is some sort of contagious disease.

Of course, popular culture and the media aid the problem with stereotypes, and how often have you heard someone say, 'That's so gay!'? Has no one ever stopped to realize just how much like a racial slur that sounds? All in all, though, the truth is that the LGBT are people and Americans just the same. As a fellow American, I agree with Dr. Seuss. Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Gay. Lesbian. Bisexual. Straight. Or otherwise. Encourage it or not, these people should be treated as any others. That is the policy of a truly tolerant America.

eiphren said...
I really enjoyed your article. I am the youth director for a Unitarian Universalist church in Minnesota and my youth group is doing a service focusing on LGBT rights and using Dr. Seuss as our way of presenting these issues. Our primary source is "Gerald McBoing Boing," but I would really like to have your permission to share your article with our congregation. You do an excellent job of putting a words to the message we're trying to convey. Thanks!

rissa. said...

Wonderful!

Loved it & how you used a famous quote from a known literary genius! (:

crawfordkid This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is most definitely a wonderful article! I love how you integrated Dr. Seuss successfully throughout the piece, and your voice had a defined presence, but not so much that it distracted from the seriousness of the issue discussed.  Very well written, and one of the few opinion pieces that I can happily give five stars! I shall expect further great writing in the future though, so get cracking. ;-)

Triscuit said...
Your article sums up almost everything thats been on my mind about this topic. Great writing

theblazingstar101 replied...
Thank you kindly. :)

JustLivingLife said...
This was a great article!! I love Dr. Seuss and I definately believe gays and lesbians and bisexuals should have the right to get married.

theblazingstar101 replied...
May 7, 2010 at 6:18 am
Thanks! :)

gaga_fan_2828 said...
This was excellent and definately one of the better-written articles I've found on this site. Great job and keep on writing :)

theblazingstar101 replied...
Thanks a bunch! ;)

MarinaOreo said...
Thank you so much for posting this. You can't say you support equality but then be homophobic. Great article and I love Dr. Seuss! :)

theblazingstar101 replied...
Apr. 15, 2010 at 11:01 am

Thank you. ;)

And Dr. Seuss is seriously my hero.

toxic.monkey said...
Apr. 10, 2010 at 11:11 am
*applause*

theblazingstar101 replied...
Many thanks. ;)

spiritchild replied...
Apr. 12, 2010 at 8:31 am

Insightful and thoughtful, successfully gets the point across.

theblazingstar101 replied...
Thank you very much; I appreciate the comment. ;)