love is blind; so hide your eyes | Teen Ink

love is blind; so hide your eyes

By White-pallet GOLD, Havelock, North Carolina
White-pallet GOLD, Havelock, North Carolina

"When there is snow on the ground, I like to pretend I'm walking on clouds."

I look at my calander. It says March 28th, 2010. It is year 2010 and yet there is still discrimination for those who love others of the same gender. Why? Are our minds so closed that we can not see past our wrong ways? I thought human rights existed. Who are we as a whole to cast away someone just because they happen to be homosexual? This world turns away to those who are just a bit different than what society as claimed as 'normal'. I believe full heartedly that society has created a monster in do so. That monster? It's homophobia, it's hate, it's discrimination. It is the exact opposite of human rights. We are brought up in a world where little boys and girls grow up to marry their opposite. There is no speak of little boys growing up to later on love another man. We dare not talk about it for it is too close to taboo. We dare not go against what this world has falsly labled 'normal'. This mindset is causing teens nowadays to hide from themselves in fear of what others will say. This is clearly demonstrated so very well in the Canadian show 'Degrassi'. Riley is the star football player that gets all the girls but he hides from the world his true self. That Riley happens to be a homosexual male. He overexagerrates his love for the female form just to please his male buddies and society's form of normal. He can not bear the thought of him being gay and in return gay bashes. We need to open our eyes to what is going on. We created a monster and that monster needs to be banished. How can we not see what is so clearly in our faces. People have rights and they happen to be called human rights. Last time I checked gays, lesbians, and transgendered people were humans as well. I sit and think about how we got here. How the world has all but shunned homosexuals. How society has turned their back on thier brother or sister. How there is such controversy. Can't two people be in love without being hated for it? Can't we accept that some people just happen to fall in love with their own gender. Shouldn't they be allowed to do things that 'normal' couples do? Like walk in public holding hands without being sneered at or have rude and derogatory names called at them. Shouldn't homosexuals be allowed to be married? Gender is just a label given to us at birth afterall. It should not matter what or who we like but what makes us up. Love is blind so maybe we should just hide our eyes.

It's time for a wake up call.