Is Being Gay a Choice? | Teen Ink

Is Being Gay a Choice?

So you say people choose to be gay. Well let’s put it in terms you can understand. Would you go to school naked? Maybe to stand out, or experiment you say? What if you knew that by doing so you would be ostracized, bullied, cast out, stereotyped, and discriminated against? Would you do it alone, without any support, role models, or friends? Would you do it if you knew it would hurt your parents and they would scream and yell and cry and deny it? Would you do it if you thought it meant you would go to hell for being unnatural? So maybe you still think some crazy person might do this, some desperate fool. Well how is it that about one in ten people are self proclaimed homosexuals? Now I don’t know about you, but I don’t think that many people are trying to become saints or martyrs. You’d need a really big incentive to “choose” to be gay, and seeing as all the results for choosing to be gay are negative, with absolutely no positives to be had from society, no one in would choose to be gay. So then why are people gay when there is no logical explanation for becoming gay? Maybe it’s not a choice, maybe it’s thrust upon them, an unwanted gift, a burden, a secret that weighs them down until finally the burden of carrying it alone becomes too much. Maybe that false identity, those suppressed unbidden desires become unbearable. No longer is it enough to be loved for what people want you to be, you want to be accepted and loved for what you are along with all your imperfections. No one wants to live a lie, at least not forever. Only the desire to be true to oneself, to stop living in denial, to stop living a lie, is enough to bring people to proclaim themselves gay.

After hearing so much debate over whether or not people choose to be gay I hoped to shed a little light on the issue.

sgt._peppers_herself SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

wow, this article is inspiring and it is nice to know that there are people out there that understand being lgbtq is NOT a choice and some people are too stupid to not really think about this. so thank u :)

on Jan. 28 2010 at 9:31 am
marine6704 SILVER, Fishers, Indiana
Thank you soi much for supporting people who do not relize that they can not always support themselves.