What’s the Difference? | Teen Ink

What’s the Difference?

January 6, 2010
By Lianne Zettel GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Lianne Zettel GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
16 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Some people say they can tell the way a person acts from looking at them. But that would be considered judging. That certain person may not turn out to be what you though they were. Personalities are different among every single person, especially within a classroom. School is no utopia. In general, it has a schism with cliques and status quos, whether or not each individual with in each clique has a similar personality.

For instance, look at our class. There are about five or six ostentatious boys who will voice their opinion on any topic, even if what they are saying is relevant to the topic or not. They just want to get their voice heard; draw everyone’s attention.
Then there are a few students who don’t say anything at all. Timorous. They just sit back and listen. Only providing input when called on. Most of their answers may be truncated in length, resulting in one to two word responses. These people most likely act this way in and outside of class. But then there are the few that are only shy in front of strangers, especially the flamboyant classmates. They almost have the behind the scene personality; where they are only outgoing with their close friends.
The anathemas of the class, which may only be one or two people, may not want to be heard. They say what they want, but either no one listens or it ends in an awkward pause. These students tend to be fractious, too. Wanting to participate often, yet no one wants to hear them.

High school classrooms come with a variety of personalities. From shy and quiet, to jaunty and talkative. And all of these different personalities mesh well with in the small cliques of a school. Not all the outgoing students are friends with each other and not all the anathemas are together. There is not one type of personality that is expunged within the classroom; outside maybe, but with in they work together.