Homosexual and Heterosexual Marriage Rights

Gay marriage…One of the largest controversies in the nation. Who a person chooses to love and wants to spend the rest of their life with is their decision. In the article “Abolish Marriage” Michael Kinsley states, “Mutually consenting sex with the person of your choice in the privacy of your own home is now a basic right of American citizenship under the Constitution.” The government cannot forbid this from happening. Allowing only a certain group of people to marry is discrimination. As time moves forward, Americans become more accepting of new norms; homosexuality is one of them. Forcing them to hide and cover up who they are is forcing them to look at life through a mask. Now is the time to accept and embrace gays and lesbians. The United States of America strives to uphold the appearance of equality and freedom so if one group cannot marry then no one should be able to marry.
Constitutional laws and religious rules should not be mixed together. The government can’t start making laws because of religion. If all religious rules became laws, people could get fined for saying the Lord’s name in vain. The world does not revolve around religion. What about insurance benefits? And making medical decisions? Marriage enables couples to share insurance benefits along with joint ownership of property. Should this not be allowed because a person loves someone of the same sex?
Let’s say in a homosexual couple, one of them is in a tragic car accident. They are unconscious and the spouse needs to make a decision about the surgery. Because there are no legal papers proving the marriage, the doctor will have no way of knowing about their spouse. A man and a woman when living together in marriage has duel income and can share all of the finances. Owning a house is almost impossible without the help from another person.

Denying marriage to a homosexual couple is no different than denying marriage to a Hispanic or African American couple, either way it is discrimination. Who is gay marriage hurting? No one. Gay marriage should be looked at as an advantage to the world. They can’t reproduce themselves so they can adopt and help save the millions of children in the world without a family.

AIDS: Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. Several people relate homosexuality with this sexually transmitted disease but in reality, there is no longer any direct relationship. STDs come from careless people who have unprotected sex with multiple partners. Whether it is a man and a woman, a woman and a woman, or a man and a man, does not make a difference.

A family member of mine came out as homosexual. Seeing them go through struggles, people’s harsh stares and nasty comments drove me crazy. He is still the same person. The United States of America needs to realize this as well. Marriage should be about love. It should not be an image of the perfect husband and wife.

TheaterGirl said...
Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:29 pm:
I am bi and i totally agree.... What if i decided to marry a woman..... I hope more people can come to this conclusion

to young to love said...
Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:31 am:
wow that was great i loved it

Leyx2 said...
Feb. 9, 2012 at 5:48 pm:
You are a very good writer!!!! my teacher used this article in school and now we are writing a essay about it :p

schlage said...
Great article. For too long the government has discriminated people because of religion. Legally, the state and church are supposed to be seperate. Marriage should be based on love, but there's a long fight ahead to prove that to people. Hopefully people will one day look at this kind of discrimination the same way that most look at racism: with disgust.

PixyMuffin said...
Dec. 2, 2010 at 11:28 am:

This article is just amazing. I am actually speechless.

I completely agree with everything you say!!!! 100% =]

ZombieDanceWithMe said...
Dec. 2, 2010 at 12:11 am:

I loved the article! although one of your paragraphs was kind of split and confusing, I liked and agreed with what you said. 

great article, again! :D

TophTheMighty said...
WOW. Awesome. I completely agree with you. Someday I hope that I will legally be allowed to marry my beloved girlfriend. Discrimination is hard to deal with. I'm glad you support your family member. My family is not okay with my homosexuality, but I hope that one day they will think like you.

Jayme said...
Oct. 19, 2010 at 11:39 am:
I love the way you are so strong about expressing how you feel. I agree 100% with what you have said. I know one day people like you can make a real differencein this world.

midnightsilenceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:47 pm:
i love your view on this sensitive subject.... I wish that everyone in this world felt the same.  It breaks my heart to see discrimination.  But if we stand up, if we ALL stand up... then hate will have no chance.  Amen! 

MarinaOreo said...
Awesome! I love it!  :)

Robkingett This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this was wonderfull! wow!

crawfordkid This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 13, 2010 at 10:44 am:
Wonderful! I would love if you'd expanded just a touch more, but it's still a great piece! Kudos!

QuestionAuthority1128 said...
I absolutely agree with your article, and you did a great job in explaining it all! Six stars! Excellent work!