Christians in denial

Last week at chapel something very interesting caught my eye as I looked around the room. I noticed that students and some teachers were falling asleep during the sermon. Also, many students ignored the chaplain as he led prayer, and they talked loudly about their weekends. Christianity teaches Christians to honor the Ten Commandments and to praise God. However, many who consider themselves Christian and have faith do not always lead a Christian lifestyle.

Some Christians go into church every Sunday and look very pious while they listen to the sermon on Christian morality, but they party and ignore Christian teachings the rest of the week. Some of my good friends consider themselves Christian and do have strong faith in God’s power, but just the other week they went to a party with alcohol. I saw pictures from the party of a person my age that I know from church. He goes to church every weekend and is part of the youth group. When other people at church criticize kids who underage drink and ignore their parents’ rules, he agrees with them. However, on the weekends, he is one of the partiers himself.

Every week people will go to church and say that they have “strong faith in the Lord” and that they follow His teachings. What they really mean by this is they follow the teachings that are easiest for them. Most of the people I talk to say that the reason they cannot pray or go to church during the week is they do not have time. I mean, when someone has strong faith in the Lord, it is hard to explain how there is time in the week for watching sports games but not enough time for the Lord.

It is kind of amazing the dirty mouth that some “strong” Christians have. Last Sunday my good friend John led the youth group in prayer. Later John and I hung out with each other, and he kept on telling me that he had a bunch of $#@^ to do for school. I also love how my neighbor “praises the lord” when she stubs her toe. Her praising sounds a lot like “God%*!@**!”

I know that I fall short everyday of being a good Christian. But what is really frustrating is people that act pious and cannot admit when they fail to be perfect Christians. The Bible teaches us that everyone sins. No Christian should act like they never make mistakes and always follow Jesus’s teachings. People that put on an act of Christianity for others but do not follow God’s message the rest of the week are poor Christian examples.

questionauthority said...
This was a really good article. You brought up really interesting points--it reminded me of the friends I have who claim to be vegetarian but eat meat on occasion. I suppose that when you swear to become a part of a certain lifestyle, like Christianity , you should follow it through and through. Your article was very well written and enjoyable. The only suggestsion I have is to make it a little more conversational in the beginning. I know that it's an opinion piece and is supposed to be pe... (more »)

shakespeare418 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm a Christian too. This article is a true story. Sometimes I wonder if people even hear themselves talk, because I feel like if they did, they'd've stopped talking by now. And I'll admit that I fall into it too a lot of the time, though. I think that this can be a natural Christian struggle. Even the apostle Paul says "I do the things I don't want to do, and I don't do the things I want to." I'll be praying for your friends who may or may not... (more »)

JWATT said...
Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:33 am
This has got to be the best paper that I have ever read. You are so true and in what your are saying. I love you sooo much and can't wait to see you tonight.