What is a Minority?

Rip! I tear open the envelope and look inside as my heart falls. Another rejection! How many scholarships can a person get turned down? So far I have been turned down for all the twenty-seven I applied for.

I have a friend whose parents make over $100,000 a year and he received a full ride scholarship. Why? Because he is considered a minority. I come from a family that makes roughly $50,000 a year and did not qualify for financial aid, or receive any of the scholarships I applied for. I mean I participate in sports and clubs, and maintain an average GPA. I’m not at all saying that I deserve a sports scholarship or even an academic one but it would be nice.

Many would say that the reason is that they are giving scholarships to those who are “minorities” because of the prejudices that their race faces. My theory is that it is just people trying not to get sued.

I’m not suggesting that there is not prejudice in the United States because there is. Reports have been made about racial bullying in schools. Not only does this offend the victims but affects their learning as well. There have been numerous cases of racism in the past that still haunt our country, but we should leave them in the past.

This is an important issue that we need to be thinking about but not focusing on.

Akeisha N., a high school student said “I feel like sometimes, just being a minority, I have so many more opportunities.”

We will not eliminate prejudice until our country decides to give everyone equal opportunity.
Our country needs to come to an understanding that equal opportunity doesn’t mean giving other races more opportunity. If we don’t then the circumstances will always remain the same, and the concept of “minority” will never change.

Why do we even pay attention to each others race? This country would run so much more smoothly if people just eliminated all prejudice. That means not having an action merely based on skin color.

Telling whites that they cannot receive a scholarship because of their race is the same as telling blacks they cannot drink out of the same water fountain.

The Webster’s dictionary states that minority means “a racial, religious, or political group that differs from the larger controlling group.” But is that what our country views it as?

Did our country not just elect the first black president?

The other day I was researching summer camps and it came to my attention that there was camps that were solely for a racial group. These camps weren’t even studying heritage or anything. They were just camps that were for “Hispanics only” or for “Asians only.”

Why would these camps marginalize other races? God forbid there to be camps for “Whites only.” They would be sued if that happened.
Whether people agree or not, there has been racial prejudices in the past and present. But what ever happened to that old saying “Lets all forgive and forget!”

shakespeare418 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Amen. I am in the same boat as you are for the scholarship thing. One of my bestfriends is black, and she'll be able to pick whichever college she wants. She's gotten so many scholarships from companies that support black students (Which is a good thing, don't get me wrong.) I'm stuck with a part time job and therefore no time to study to make up for the lack of minority scholarships that I don't qualify for. (which is not so good.)

Dynasty said...
i have to agree with reel17. it is harder for most minorites because we ussually dont have it as good as other races. and most times it hard to get into college without a scholarship.

Reel17 said...
Your article is good, but I'm going to have to disagree with you. As an African American and a minority I'm glad that we have scholarships, camps and colleges that are only for minorities. I'm not trying to sound racist, but growing up in America in a country that is prominently white a minority feels left out. Though a camp, like a an art camp or a college won't say whites only it becomes prominently white.
I was in a film camp last year and I was the only African Ame... (more »)

Meagan:] replied...
Nov. 15, 2009 at 8:40 pm :
I agree that camps and colleges won't say "whites only" and by all means I wasn't trying to ask for that. But I still find it sad that we have camps for a specific race only and I'm sorry that you had to prove to others your ability to film because you were the only African American girl in your class. Circumstances in our country should NOT result to that; opportunities for success should not depend on race, or gender for that matter. But the reality is that this is a... (more »)

GirlWithWings56This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Yeah, you have a valid point. I think people forget about the fact that yes, while minorities are a major target of racism, white people are prejudiced against, too. Good article.

This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 21, 2009 at 11:12 am:
This is so true. I happen to take college very seriously and it makes me angry that there are scholarships I will never get, just because I am white. Like you said, that's just as discriminating as saying blacks can't drink from the same water fountain. We havn't gotten rid of racism, we just want people to think we're doing something about it.

caitlin.calamity replied...
Dec. 5, 2009 at 9:23 pm :
You just stated what I was thinking but couldn't put into words.

PurpleFeather said...
i think that everyone should just be looked at the same. they should judge evryone based on their academic skill and morality, not whether they are a "minority" or whatever. i experience this at my own school even though i am only im middle school. i am black and my principal keeps asking me to be on all of these committees, and i kno part of the reason is to add some "diversity" to these all white councils!

Lostinbooks This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I completely agree... as a minority at my school of mostly Asians, I see this a lot. Why should there be a "Chinese Club' but if there was a 'White Club', we would be in serious trouble? There is so much discrimination...what happened to merit and hard work? If a minority can get all these advantages, what happens to those majorities who potentially needed it more? Like in your situation. People just need to think! Discrimination is bad, everywhere, to every race. Why make... (more »)

Jacky P. said...
That is a great article. I was just thinking about this, earlier today. You had your opinions so well thought out and organized. Fantastic job!

PK4evr This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 2, 2009 at 11:30 pm:
Asian person commenting on this article... :)
Uhhh yes we are a minority :(. At least, here, but you know what's really dumb? Asian people make up a fifth of the world. So how exactly are we the minority? IDK.
Also: It's harder for us Asian girls to get guys just because we're, well, the minority. and we get stereotyped... sometimes what I wouldn't give to be white...
haha not saying there's anything wrong with your article- i liked the article, personally- just ... (more »)

awesomeaugustThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 2, 2009 at 12:15 am:
that was really good. You had some great points, and I think they were organized in a way that was interesting to read.
nice job!

Frani L. said...
Jun. 1, 2009 at 11:05 pm:
This is awesome Meagan, and now it's #1! When I went to raw, the opinion section has this as the main thing! awesome. My personal favorite "God forbid there to be camps for 'White only'" Very dramatic:D
And by the way, Shane, cool is spelt with a c not a k.

Alice M. said...
Jun. 1, 2009 at 7:55 pm:
wow this piece is really well written and it really gets you to think about what a minority is defined as today

Shane M. said...
Jun. 1, 2009 at 6:52 pm:
kool

Trevor G. said...
Jun. 1, 2009 at 7:52 pm:
MEAGAN YOUR NUMBER 1!

Hallie M. said...
May 31, 2009 at 4:33 pm:
Meagan! Yours is second in popularity-- woohoo!

Hallie M. said...
May 29, 2009 at 12:35 am:
Wow, this is a really great piece. It makes me really think about how I am treated as a caucasian. (sp?) It's a totally different perspective on racism

Bballfan said...
Jun. 4, 2009 at 2:48 pm:
Thought provoking. It would be an interesting debate in the next presidential election.