What is a Minority?

Rip! I tear open the envelope and look inside as my heart falls. Another rejection! How many scholarships can a person get turned down? So far I have been turned down for all the twenty-seven I applied for.

I have a friend whose parents make over $100,000 a year and he received a full ride scholarship. Why? Because he is considered a minority. I come from a family that makes roughly $50,000 a year and did not qualify for financial aid, or receive any of the scholarships I applied for. I mean I participate in sports and clubs, and maintain an average GPA. I’m not at all saying that I deserve a sports scholarship or even an academic one but it would be nice.

Many would say that the reason is that they are giving scholarships to those who are “minorities” because of the prejudices that their race faces. My theory is that it is just people trying not to get sued.

I’m not suggesting that there is not prejudice in the United States because there is. Reports have been made about racial bullying in schools. Not only does this offend the victims but affects their learning as well. There have been numerous cases of racism in the past that still haunt our country, but we should leave them in the past.

This is an important issue that we need to be thinking about but not focusing on.

Akeisha N., a high school student said “I feel like sometimes, just being a minority, I have so many more opportunities.”

We will not eliminate prejudice until our country decides to give everyone equal opportunity.
Our country needs to come to an understanding that equal opportunity doesn’t mean giving other races more opportunity. If we don’t then the circumstances will always remain the same, and the concept of “minority” will never change.

Why do we even pay attention to each others race? This country would run so much more smoothly if people just eliminated all prejudice. That means not having an action merely based on skin color.

Telling whites that they cannot receive a scholarship because of their race is the same as telling blacks they cannot drink out of the same water fountain.

The Webster’s dictionary states that minority means “a racial, religious, or political group that differs from the larger controlling group.” But is that what our country views it as?

Did our country not just elect the first black president?

The other day I was researching summer camps and it came to my attention that there was camps that were solely for a racial group. These camps weren’t even studying heritage or anything. They were just camps that were for “Hispanics only” or for “Asians only.”

Why would these camps marginalize other races? God forbid there to be camps for “Whites only.” They would be sued if that happened.
Whether people agree or not, there has been racial prejudices in the past and present. But what ever happened to that old saying “Lets all forgive and forget!”

QTforeverr said...
May 11, 2010 at 3:13 am:
Okay, let's think, your ancestors were able to work and own property and vote and make money. And then they had kids, and they had kids, and they had kids, etc, and then finally your grandparents and then parents. So your family line has lived normal lives, assuming you are white, while blacks were put through slavery, not able to own land, vote, and still discriminated against today! We have to have affirmative action. Look at the demographics of a ghetto. Plus, you were probably denied 27 scho... (more »)

HopefulWolf This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 8, 2011 at 7:20 pm :
So if you're white, you live a normal life, free of slavery? Someone needs a reality check, and here it is: Jaycee Dugard. One of many.

iseeME26 said...
Mar. 30, 2010 at 11:08 am:
you guys are funny, just think about it... During 2007 it is proved that 4000 of the 4700 minorities that applyed for big scholarships got in! Schools want miorities, they want to have the statistics that prove that they are and equal college! Stop crying please, maybe you did someting wrong because minorities have it good...look it up! :)

LaReSt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 9, 2010 at 10:20 am:
I am so sorry to hear that, but that is the way it is sometimes. I am black, but I tell people all the time, I'm not in slavery. Don't cry for me. I get so upset to see Caucasian people being attacked basicly, especially children. You are not the one that rode over with Africans on the boat and did not feed them. You did not whip slaves for not picking cotton fast enough so I feel that is ridiculous. Times have changed and I wish people would stop living like black people deserve every... (more »)

FlowerZombie replied...
Oct. 9, 2010 at 2:43 pm :
I understand how it feels to be denied something you want - no matter what the reason - but there are thousands of scholarships out there and MANY have specific criteria - there are even some that might be considered for "whites" only, the scholarships for people of European descent - there are scholarships that include or exclude people for any number of reasons. Sometimes preference IS given to Blacks and Latinos because students of those groups re so under represented on college campuses. Edu... (more »)

Savan<3 said...
Feb. 28, 2010 at 10:19 pm:
finally somebody who sees the reverse-raceism going on today!

Anita This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 8, 2010 at 4:24 pm:
This is a great article, and you are completely right. Rock on!

Gradschoolgrl said...
Feb. 8, 2010 at 12:30 pm:
I want to applaud you for tackling such a tough issue! I am a grad. student studying this stuff and it's really complicated. I am interested in learning more about teens' attitudes toward race and racism, so here's something I would like to put out there and would love to hear your thoughts. I see the point that we have made progress in our society--segregation is not legal, every person has equal rights protected by law. But since racism and discrimination have been such a profou... (more »)

Meagan:] replied...
Mar. 9, 2010 at 10:51 pm :
I don't think that in our society race is something that can be "easily erased from our consciousness" I think that in the US especially racism is something that we take lightly. Coming from a teens standpoint at least, it seems that we like to focus on others differences, and race is sometimes one of them. In order for us to end the racism we need to begin to accept oters differences, not focus on our problems from the past.

MisplacedTexan14 said...
I agree. I'm being homeschooled and there are Black Homeschoolers gruops. I can't join just because I'm white. But if there was a white group, people would freak and they'd be called Racist. Why is it racist if it is whites only but not racist if it is blacks only?

PurpleFeather replied...
Jan. 30, 2010 at 6:48 pm :
because we are the minority. everything in america is white - models for ads, dolls, tv shows, movies, etc. there are also many parts of the counrty that is predominantly white. as a young black adolescent living in an almost all-white environment, these types of things are detrimental to that black teen's racial pride. this is why clubs and camps for black students are created: to surround them with THEIR people and remind them that THEY are beautiful, too. the world favors whites already,... (more »)

MisplacedTexan14 replied...
Jan. 31, 2010 at 1:34 am :
The world does not favor whites. Not since poltical correctness. At the school I'm applying to there is asian clubs, african american clubs, hispanic clubs, etc. There is no caucasian club. There are no white camps, no white homeschoolers groups because the world calls that ravcist. Racism goes both ways.

shalamadrana replied...
Jan. 31, 2010 at 5:22 pm :
Racism is directed at blacks. In reality, whites are the mutations. Blacks were the dominate people when the world was created, and yet now, all of the whites are disregarding blacks as though whites are the domination. even though we are, that doesnt give us the right to alienate everybody else. and it's not just clubs that do that. its the people of the world as a whole.
and this is coming from a white person

MisplacedTexan14 replied...
Jan. 31, 2010 at 11:52 pm :
Blacks were dominate? and how do you know this? i'm just wondering where you got that.

shalamadrana replied...
Feb. 1, 2010 at 1:51 pm :
they were. i got it from research. i was looking up a topic (i forget what it was) but that kept coming up. there was a mutation that occured in our ancesors, creating white, and for some reson that just kept coming up. They were the dominate color after a while, and blacks just became more and more scarce, while today we tend to get together white and black. Racism is more pronouced now. I mean, in america, we are mostly white while in llets say africa, there is mostly blacks, and there is more... (more »)

LaReSt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 9, 2010 at 10:22 am :
hey yall both sides are right. There is reverse racism going on and no one notices. Blacks were superior in Africa, but baby we ain't (excuse ebonics) in Africa No mo. I don't know about you but I ain't never been there.

dragonbookgirl said...
Dec. 27, 2009 at 11:20 am:
i think that the intentions of the scholarships are good; even today minorities are more likely to grow up in poorer environments and be given less opportunities due to historic discrimination. so looking at it that way scholarships based on race are a good thing. however, whats sad about it is that there definately are poor whites with just as little opportunites. and there are also some wealthy people of minority. is it fair that a rich black kid is provided with all the opportunities/colleges... (more »)

mandapanda91 replied...
Jan. 5, 2010 at 7:21 am :
and then there are those who are too rich to recieve any help with college, but really cant afford to take a financial draining...

dragonbookgirl replied...
Jan. 5, 2010 at 5:09 pm :
yeah, exactly. that too. good point.

question-authority said...
I agree with your article and I think you are a good writer. However, your last line about forgiving and forgetting the racial transgressions of the past seemed a bit too simplistic. While giving minorities preference in camps and scholarships is a wrong way to overcompensate for past racism, we can't simply forget this racism; we have to accept it and think of other ways to deal with it so we can move forward.

mandapanda91 replied...
Jan. 5, 2010 at 7:27 am :
I agree with uou to a certain point, however, I for one am not going to apologize for something I never did for the rest of m life and fail to see why anyone else would. I mean would I ask some Irish person for an apology for something their ancestor did to my Scottish Cheiftain Ancestor? No. Racism is a problem, but many in our generation have not committed such hate crimes as previously have been. I will not apologize for the rest of my life for a crime I did not commit.